The Official "Reinfeldt knows what he is doing" free agency thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It depends on how it's structured and how the Titans pay the bonus.

Same answer as the first.

Very doubtful. You have the question of Bironas to add to this as well. They may want to add him long-term. You have the restricted free agents to pay. You have the rookies. And you have any other players brought in the remainder of free agency along with needing a little money in case you have a player go down and have to bring someone in during the season.

I don't have any hard numbers to back me up but I've never heard of Bud Adams not using his cap. Before the salary cap, his teams were among the top paid in the league. Since that time, he's usually always been up against the cap as far as I know.

2. ConVinced10

ConVinced10 Guest

we put a 1st round tender on Stewart that is locking him up

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Puuuhhhleeeeeasssseee!!!! You are joking right? Many experts after the draft said that taking Henry in the second was a stretch at best. He wasn't going anywhere.

Gimme a break TJ. These guys [B Fisher, K Herndon] didn't even beat out our #3 guys in the spot. THEY were overpaid Seattle cronies that MR "felt" he knew. But yeah right- MR gets a pass because he is "new" the job.

Thank God :)

This is where you and I have disagreed many times before. I don't have any problem posting a judgement call based on details of the present. You prefer to let things shake out a bit more. It doesn't mean that I am any more premature/reactionary than you are too slow to call it like it is. Just different- both ways useful as long as references are used.

Let's dont dress this another way OK? AH and MR were at the table trying to get a long term contract done to avoid the franchise. It didn't happen because they were apart on numbers. During that interval, the Raiders DT deal and the Shaun Rogers deal blew up the DT salary. A costly delay on MR's part. Granted- I don't know the numbers, but there is a high probability that if MR had loosened up a bit he could have locked AH for less of a annual cap hit for next year. But franchising was a good move if he isn't really committed to spending what a long term contract would hold for AH.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I agree with your balanced and objective agreement :))

Exactly - probably the #1 reason I grade MRs 1st year as maybe a B or B+. Nothing exciting at all, but instantly solidified the base of the team. I harped on this last year - the bottom 5 players on your roster are critical. The Superbowl last year is a great illustration - the Pats had the best top 5 players, but the Giants had the best bottom 5... they got production out of role players and that was the difference in the game.

Playmakers win games, make highlight reels, and win fantasy football. Depth wins championships.

Football is still a team game, though... the key to being better NOW is still how all 11 men play together. Case in point - without Pacman our secondary improved. With no D line additions to speak of, our run D went from bottom feeders to top of the league.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Experts? Right. That makes it 100%.

Yet if Odom would have gone down in week three, I bet Fisher would have been close to just as productive. Sure, it's speculation but no more than you saying that bringing in depth isn't important. You'd been okay with Conover playing out the season?

True. I tend to like to see some facts before making a judgment. Call me "crazy". ;) I also don't judge my investments based on a quarterly increase or loss when my goal is what it does over a five-year period.

Go back to some of the "doom and gloom" threads from the loss of Bennett, Henry and Wade last year. Do you feel the same now as you did then on those losses?

I've been consistent on this. Both sides needed free agency to gauge the market. I doubt Haynesworth would accept ANY deal because there was no basis for knowing his value except for deals one the previous year. And the Titans certainly knew they had the franchise tag so they could keep their best offer in the drawer.

Is this bad management? I don't think so. If anything, it's smart.

The franchise tag is there for a reason. If anything, it places more pressure on Haynesworth because he wants his money. He and his agents see deals go down and now have a better idea of his value. It's no different than when high draft picks are signed. When pick #8 settles, #7 soon follows because the value is established.

6. Riverman

TJ- we are going to disagree on MR and that's OK. As a point, however, I don't disagree that depth is important. My contention with MR is that he has missed opportunities to acquire (or keep) starters and/or play-makers at a price the market deems is fair. Except for Crumpler, I can't think of a play-maker he even made a reasonable effort to acquire. He claims he wants to build through the draft- OK- then he better be damn good at it. And even if it's early, his first year wasn't (hasn't) been much above a C+.

Also, I was glad to see Bennett hit the road. I'm not sure what you are referencing.

Kind of hard to win a championship without winning games.

7. MJTitans

:rolleyes: Funny you read that to mean depth doesn't ever win games. There's the difference between us.

Do you play poker? If so, is your strategy to always try to get a straight or a flush? Or are you comfortable also betting when you hold a pair? If you can win holding a decent pair (read: depth), then when the straight comes along it's great. If you can only win with a straight (read: top 5 WR or top 5 RB, whatever you like) you won't get very far.

8. Riverman

What's funny about my reading? You didn't state depth doesn't ever win championships. And I am comfortable that there is more difference in us that just that.

Are we talking about evaluating a GM or Poker?

Anyway- let me follow up your example. Did you know that the reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of old when the engines were pulled by horses? The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.

Also, the Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

And lastly, there is a coffee flavored Pez candy.

Did I get very far?

9. MJTitans

Yes. Very far. Well, I suppose that about does it for this thread. No sense in beating a dead horse when he might just climb up the stairs and come after us.

Really - coffee flavored PEZ? That makes me sad.

10. Riverman

:ha: Well done. :applause:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar