The Official Will Witherspoon Movement

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KamikaZ, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

Either move would be a mistake IMO. KB is not a hole plugger and that is what yoiu need in the middle. He is best scraping the line of scrimmage, so a move to SAM, where he will be taking on bigger blockers is not suited to his talents.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

It's rare that everyone seems to agree. That's cool but I've got an honest question... As RollTide pointed out there seems to be some kind of size issue. I know what MLB and OLB... not sure what SAM (strong side?) is but still, I thought Bulluck didn't have the size to play in the middle. Where Kieth is good in pursuit and sideline to sideline coverage I thought (from reading this board in the past) he wasn't well suited to play in the middle or else he would. Can Kieth Bulluck take a RB coming right at him X times a game? Brad Kassel is 6'3 242lbs... I guess that's not much bigger. Where does his opinion that Kieth Bulluck cannot play in the middle stem from? It can't be over seven pounds...

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

dg...

If bulluck isn't sam or mlb sized then that would be the whole issue isn't it? We are talking abiout 2 guys(witherspoon or thornton) that are even smaller. Not much difference which is your point but the bottom line is that if we bring in a 6'2 230 lb guy that means that bulluck at 6'3 235 has to move over.

4. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

Not neccesarily. 5 Pounds difference does not mean that the heavier guy has to move over, but it copuld be the case.

A lot has to do with, which LB has better technique, better strength, ability to fill ad take on blockers.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Are we going to be like the colts?

The colts use small fast linebackers. Thornton is 6'2 230 and cato june is even a little smaller at 6'0 227. Yet both were very effective and june made the pro bowl.

Reese did say that he was willing to sacrifice some size for speed but also said that we probably can't go as far as the colts because our system is different. But here is our problem. Our defensive ends are not physical run stoppers. KVB is not great against the run and la-boy is even weaker. Odom is only ok. If we get even smaller outside that could be a problem. Sirmon is not very quick any more but he is a physical player and a very good tackler. We move sirmon to the inside and have bulluck plus witherspoon or thornton will we be physical enough on the edges?

The problem is made even worse by the fact we have 2 gunny sized corners who can't seem to tackle. :howdy:

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

dude i am a tank. :brow:

7. danny

danny Guest

One way to solve the problem of not having ends that can stop the run would be to draft Mario Williams which I'm not convinced won't happen...

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fighting titan...

I'm going to agree with you. Both thornton and witherspoon played the strong side last year so why not for the titans? So yes it probably is likely that bulluck stays put and the new guy whoever that is plays there because we don't want to compromise bulluck's effectiveness.

The real issue i guess then is to compare sirmon to those guys since sirmon has been our starting sam for some time and before his injury was a very good player. Sirmon is 6'2 237.

So forget everything i said.::yell2:

So maybe our biggest problem is our smallish DEs and our pee wee sized corners which is something we really can't help. They have to play if that is the best we have. Would be nice if woolfolk could step up and help in this matter.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Danny...

You know what maybe that should happen. If young falls back and we pass on him and cutler isn't rated quite high enough to take third maybe we will have no choice but to draft a stud at another position and dbrick, williams or hawk might be better choices. Hawk looked like a monster at the combine with a 4.57 40 time and 24 reps. Williams looks like a real stud and dbrick would be our starting left tackle for the next 13 years.

We draft hawk and pick up a witherspoon or thornton we can then let sirmon go and save some cap room. We draft willaims and maybe we can deal la-boy for a much needed third rd pick and then use that pick for a brody croyle.

Needless to say we do have other options and a QB might not be the best one.

10. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

An easy way to solve this is to draft D'Qwell Jackson in the 2nd round..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar