The Only Reason VY Won't Start

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Don, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

The NFL does so much to protect the qb all by itself, there should be no concern for injury by any team let alone ours. Vince Young has been playing football his whole life. If he's not ready to take a hit now, he never will be. He will either get hurt or not, but not because he's in there with a porous offensive line.

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I agree. He makes people better around him. Just think about how much he helps our WR's and TE's. With Vince back there the entire Defense has to worry about him running on every play and that causes defenders to keep check on him. This helps our guys get open. It only takes that split second to to break free from a defender. With Collins or Volek you have zero chance of either of them taking off and running for any other reason than a broken play usually leading to a sack or a ball thrown away. It's harder for our guy's to get open when their secondary and LB's don't have to keep looking over their shoulder to see what Vince is doing.

Those are a couple of reasons I think that Vince should be starting. The other reason is that he's a winner. Plain and simple, and you can't teach that. It hasn't been hard to notice that we do play better when he's in. I don't know what F'n game Fisher's been watching.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

The defense will be on the field as long as they can't make opponents go 3 and out.

We can't even stop 3 and 9 in the 2nd quarter.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Heh heh. He does have those intangibles you can't teach. Which, Ewker, is why the team responds to him so well.

They will always see more success with the growing number of plays Young feels comfortable with versus the book they try to have Collins execute. They won't adapt it to Collins. It just won't happen. Basic and simple is not a bad thing. They will do this right by Young, and it may be the thing that saves Fish and Reese their jobs after this year. I think they just have to do it sooner than later. Then they can write the early, really embarrasing, losses to "just making sure Young is ready to play."

5. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

I think the entire team plays better with Vince. The fans get into it too.

Oh, and that's crazy.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

True, but I think they'll get more rest with Young in versus Collins. That HAS to happen first.

7. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

Having watched Vince for many years now, I am not in the least bit surprised that it seems like protection is better with Vince in there. Maybe the other players react to him and play harder, but I think that the real difference is in how defenses are forced to defend him. As a D-lineman, with Collins back there, you just pin your ears back and go as fast as you can to the QB. Who cares if you stay in your lanes,etc.

With Vince in there, the D-linemen absolutely cannot do that, or they will open up huge running lanes for Vince. If a speed rush D-lineman goes flying past Vince, he can easily run to that side for a positive play. As a result, the defense rushes less aggressively and is more careful to stay within their lanes. That leads to better pass protection and an easier job for the O-line.

Defenses are always going to play a little more hesitant with a running QB in the game. That is another reason to play Vince when your O-line is struggling. Plus even if pressure gets through, he is a lot more likely than Collins to escape it (obviously).

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

can't possibly be the fact that the Chargers were up 33-0 and knew they were going to win so they slacked off. When it was close they wrecked havoc on Collins and Young. Why some of you can't see that is beyond me

9. Fisher said:

THERE IS NO QB CONTROVERSY!!!

Hey coach: YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING RIGHT?

Collins is the worst Qb in franchise history, why don't they give a shot to Billy Volek, he is better than Collins, and then please hand the team to #10, everybody play better when #10 is on the field.

Fisher I am going to the Miami game, put Vince in and win that game please, coming from Mexico City just win Baby...

10. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

Could be partly it, though there were many starters still in, including Merriman, when Vince threw his TD pass. SD wanted the shutout.

Are you saying you think my argument that D-linemen often don't rush as aggressively with Vince in is completely offbase? If so, I'll just have to agree to disagree. When the QB is a legitimate running threat, defenses have to play a little differently or else they get burned by his legs like SD did on the 4th and 10 play that Vince converted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar