The Pattern I See With Fisher

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Or Why I Want Him Gone

Let me preface this by saying Jeff Fisher is my favorite head coach of all time. I really love the guy as a coach. But this season I'm afraid is showing me a pattern I previously did not fully realize or accept was there.

Jeff is a defensive-minded coach. This much is true. A HC is going to be one or the other. It's unavoidable. But a head coach has to place a certain amount of trust in his subordinates, and I get the sad feeling that all the trust has gone out of Jeff Fisher.

I think it's obvious the defense is declining in areas, guys are getting older, and we have the injury bug of 2004. However, guys are and were clearly out of position before that even started happening. Teams such as the Patriots and Steelers have shown you can win defensively with age or youth as long as you are doing the right things coaching-wise.

On the offensive side of the ball, we have plenty of horses, and a coach who is unfortunately too inept to utilize them in the right ways. Johnson, Cook, Ringer, Washington, Britt, White, Scaife, Ringer, Hall, not to mention our offensive line, only one of whom was injured to start the season...there's just no excuse here. Unless you're a guy who can't figure out what the hell to do with some of the greatest weapons on offense the team has had in the last 10 years, which is where we are with Fisher. I have to wonder if he insists on making defense and special teams the star of the show.

You can counterbalance a declining defense with a surging offense, which is what I at least thought would and should have happened, and it hasn't. It's led me to believe Fisher cannot handle more than 3-4 weapons on offense at a time (a la McNair, George, Wycheck, Mason), has done too many of the same things for too many years offensively and defensively, and cannot thrive one iota unless the defense is playing top notch. The one recent exception to this was 2006, because Vince Young ran off-script so much when it counted (and Steve used to do the same). Subtact that, and the Titans would have had their 3rd losing season in a row.

So it's either a case of Fisher will not allow Heimerdinger free offensive reign, or that Heimerdinger has allowed the game to pass him by as much as Fisher.

A head coach has to find a way to balance a team out. I cannot give Fisher props for player development, either. Look at what's going on here. Stagnancy. He's the head coach. Not the coach-who-focuses-strictly-on-defense. That's not his title. Is it Mawae? Yank him? Is Stewart still hurt? Give him the rest he needs then.

So what will most likely happen next if Fisher survives the season is 2 more years of defensive rebuilding while Fisher chases every one of our offensive playmakers out of town the first chance they get, because no one on offense is used to their maximum effect while Fisher is coach. Furthermore, it would not surprise me at all if our offensive players were told a lot "You guys could be one of the best offenses in the league if Fisher would just get out of your way and let y'all play."

Fisher is only capable of winning with a top defense. And everyone else on the team has to stay "on-hold" while he retools and rebuilds it. A coach simply cannot allow half his roster to go underutilized while he focuses solely on his strength. That's what Fisher makes Titans fans suffer through, and I'm really just now seeing the pattern.

I'm starting to believe that after being bailed out repeatedly by Steve (RIP), Jeff's ego wouldn't allow him go through the same thing with Vince. He let Vince save his butt in 2006, and basically told him "You're going to do this my way or not at all." Now it's coming back to bite him. Perhaps Jeff has given free reign to Heimerdinger, and he just blows, or he's told 'Dinger the same thing as Vince. Either way, we need a coach who puts his weaknesses in the hands of coordinators who can compensate for them.

I guess that's the lesson I want Fisher to learn pronto, or the next guy who gets the job.

2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

If we beat the pats, your entire attitude and perception will change.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I wouldn't bet on that.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

yeah..1-5 is not too promising.

5. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I agree about the offense, and it sickens me. If Fisher isn't gone this season, some of our offensive guys won't want to stay around much longer I can guarantee that.

He's letting guys just rot on the bench as well. Where's Ringer, Hawkins, Cook? Why not let Hawks try the return game a few weeks ago? Why not put Cook in before the games are out of reach..you know..we might actually be closer in games if we could learn to use a TE effectively.

And why are we acting like CJ is the only weapon in the backfield? Why can't we split him wide, put Ringer/White tailback, and see what happens? Oh that takes too much practice and time, Heimerdinger doesn't want to expend the time and energy on making our offense actually decent, he'd rather collect his paycheck and hope the Defense bails him out. F'ing sick of this team the more I think about it..

6. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil isn't up for the challenge. That's all there really is to say about it. If I can sit there and figure out which receiver is going to get the ball before its thrown to them, I'm pretty sure NFL quarterbacks have no problems picking apart this defense.

You will never have a pathetic defense and an awesome offense on the same team.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Can't blame Fisher for Hawkins lack of plays, I wouldn't let Hawkins touch the field either. He F's up worse than anyone on the team, but Cook he's been iffy health wise. I wont argue Fisher lets people rot away, and doesn't utilize all the talent, so you can forget about Hawkins making anything happen.

I'm still not ready to kick Fisher out of town just yet, but I'm getting there with every loss.

8. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

I'm ready. I mean really you got a stadium that sells out in seconds every year and you never bring the championship team. You've been close but you never get it done. It's not about just this year. This year just magnifies the situation. Our coaching staff is elite at taking talent and developing it right for their gameplan. Unfortunately, their gameplan has consistently snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory for us year after year.

9. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Not even if Collins comes out and throws for 450 yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Brees-led Saints prior to this year? Warner-led Cards of last?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar