The plan for Griffin

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

Its seems kind of crazy to put him at CB, but he said today Laserjock mentioned that he would start on the outside; I think it could be temporary until Pac gets back; but I really don't have a clue.

If it is permanent at CB, we should have traded up to get in front on Cincy so we could have taken Leon Hall. I like Griffin a lot, but I hope in the long run it is at Safety.

2. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I think this was a saftey net pick

If Pac doesnt come back, hes our #2 corner,
    If he does come back, based on what they see this year, they decide what to do with him/Thompson for the saftey position

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Which worries me greatly. Versatile guys often mean they aren't great at anything, but ok at lots of things.

I want a great safety with the 19th pick, or a great corner. I don't buy that he is a great corner, so I'm damn hoping that he is a great safety and we let him play there!!!

4. johnnybow

johnnybow Guest

Hey, tell that guy I've got the deed to the Golden Gate Bridge and I'd make him a real good deal...

5. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

He's going to play defensive end... that's the only explanation I can come up with for not taking one in the higher rounds.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

There's an article I read today that said statistically in the first round the safest position to draft is...safety.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Seriously, if we start him at corner, I give up. Somethings in the effin' water at BSP. That damned river I'm guessing.

8. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Why is it such a stretch or letdown if he turned out to be a really good corner?

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

That article I was referring to was a column: TMQ.

The most striking and original draft analysis came from Page 2's Ted Kluck, who broke down many years of first rounds and found that quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers (in that order) were most likely to be busts, while safeties, linebackers and cornerbacks (in that order) were least likely to become draft flops. First-round safeties, defensive tackles and linebackers had the best odds of reaching the Pro Bowl, while first-round cornerbacks, offensive linemen and wide receivers the longest odds to receive ticket to Honolulu. Kluck's conclusions were striking on several fronts. One is that quarterback, running back and wide receiver -- the positions that produce the most statistics, and hence the players you'd think we knew the most about -- were most likely to disappoint in the pros. Maybe the stats generated by "skill players" tell you more about their teammates than about them. Next, notice what position appears to be the single safest to draft in the first round, generating fewest busts and most Pro Bowls: safety. And what do draft gurus endlessly say? Don't waste first-round choices on safeties. The next striking aspect of Kluck's findings is that the two positions with the highest first-round success, safety and linebacker, are positions that scouts and personnel managers don't pay much attention to. Maybe the picks in this category are successful because NFL personnel directors don't pay as much attention to them as others. Finally, what struck me about Kluck's analysis was its practical value: a general manager could simply use the data as a guide. Kluck did, predicting based on his own numbers that Gaines Adams, Adam Carriker, LaRon Landry, Brandon Merriweather, Amobi Okoye, Joe Thomas and Patrick Willis were the most-likely-to-succeed picks in this year's first round. TMQ will revisit this list in two years to see if he was right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/070501&sportCat=nfl

No mention of Griffin, but nonetheless...now, if he becomes a cornerback, it could be a whole 'nother matter.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Though I guess one could question whether he should have been a first round pick or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar