The plan for Griffin

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

No let down if he did turn out to be a really good corner, but most safeties are safeties for a reason.

2. For what it's worth, many people thought Rashean Mathis would be a safety in the NFL before the draft and he has been a great CB. And he's a bit taller, but about the same weight and athleticism as Griffin. Plus, Griffin is excellent in coverage, so there's theoretically no reason that he can't succeed at CB (we'll see).

Also, if they plan to play zone coverage, he'll be useful at CB because CBs are expected to stop the run. And he's certainly willing to do that.

Worst case scenario, in my book, is that he flunks as a CB so they move him to safety fulltime...

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Just keep Lamont on the sidelines & we will be fine.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I thought that about Woolfolk......

:bricks:

5. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

I guess we'll just have to wait a few more months :( and see

6. Heh... yeah, but Woolfolk was never a star safety in college...

7. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Woolfolk actually PLAYED cornerback in college. And he was raw, even then; he had only played a small time at corner, but showed some promise. Griffin was excellent and made lots of plays, and has shown more ability at safety, than Woolfolk ever did at corner.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

well, back in the early days we drafted a LB and converted him to DE
    that worked out pretty well

now, back on topic

I'm wodering if Griffin possibly plays STRONG while Hope is moved back to FREE where he played at Pitt
    one scenario I think of would be a blitz package, where maybe we see Lowry or Finny rushing putting Griffin in coverage
    but I DO NOT anticipate Griff getting substantial time at Corner .... especially if it means LaMont Thompson has to come in for a few downs

but hey ...... let's wait and see how he looks in camp
    I don't care where he plays ....
    if Fuller or Lowry finally switch on the light and Finny and Hill do not - and Michael does - I'd have no problem lining him up at Corner

I'm all for putting the best players in the right position if it means an improvement in the overall Defensive play - even if it means playing a Nose Tackle at DT, a DE playing LB, or a Safety playing Corner

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Do you think Schwartz is capable of such a complicated task.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I would have rather got Houston than Hall

I like the Griffin pick
    it has alot under the sheets that maybe not everyone considered

and I agree that I hope is long term is at Saftey .......
    however, if either of the HArper / Hill / Finnegan duo is not cutting it and MG happens to cover / tackle better than the weakest link, then is prudent to insert him into the role until thats straightened out
    the only caveat is that if Fuller ore Lowry are liabilities to the position, then (more than Likely) we'd see Thompson back out there

If Scott happens to be this years Hope .......
    and 1 of the 3 (unless Ryan Smith steps up) can't cut it, then I think it's our duty to play him at corner

furthermore, as cuts start to roll up ... if ANYBODY with a sale tag comes along that could outplay our current secondary, I would predict an extensive turnover in the roster for that position

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar