The plan for Griffin

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

well, I think that actually fall into package assignment, which IIRC, is JEff's calls. I seem to remember an interview with Fish and he commented that he calls the squads and let's the coordinators choose the play

if you take what Billick did last year (when he started calling the offense), and invert that into Jeff calling the defensive plays, I think you could see some stuff like that

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I'd actually like the Griffin pick better if he can be a good CB. Considering we passed on Nelson (who I think is a better FS and I think Hope is a better SS than Griffin) and the dirth of good big CB's could make Griffin a very good pick (though not as good as getting a first rndr next year from Cleveland and still grabbing a Chris Houston, Meachem, Spencer, or Bowe).

Griffin was recruited as a CB so it's not like he's never played it. And at Texas they make all secondary players learn ALL FOUR secondary positions so they can play the 4 best players.

Griffin has the athleticism to play CB, but we're not sure how WELL he can play it. I think we all feel he'll be a pretty good S...but if he can play CB, that would be a HUGE plus considering Pac's suspension. The one caveat is NONE of us want to see Lamont starting under any conditions so FS would have to be manned by Fuller/Lowry or even Finnegan. I think the Titans have 2 knowns...Hope and Harper will start...for the next 2 spots (assuming Pac's suspended), the best 2 players (out of Griffin, Lowry, Fuller, Finnegan, Hill) should play. Oh...and Ryan Smith (whom I really like as a pick) could compete for a nickel or dime spot (which could free Finnegan for a starting CB or FS position). He's too light to compete for a starting outside CB spot (he's UNDER 170lbs). And I didn't include Lamont on purpose. I had a year to watch what he COULDN'T do!

Frankly, I think we could have done better *in terms of value) with the Griffin pick but he should be a good player. It's the next couple of picks that concern me...especially Henry....but I digress.

In short...we have 2 MORE quality players than we did last year (Harper and Griffin) at two of our weaker positions...CB and FS so that should be a relief (assuming the coaching staff doesn't mess this up)!

Gut

3. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

We ought to shop Lamont before just cutting him. I would think we could at least get a 7th rounder from someone who needs depth at his position.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I'd like to see our coaches be that ingenuitive

5. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I would like to see our Secondary look something like this:

#1 CB - N. Harper
    #2 CB - C. Finnegan
    #3 CB - R. Hill
    Nickel Back - R. Smith

FS - Michael Griffin
    SS - Chris Hope

With our backups as Fuller, Lowry, and Scott. We might keep one extra CB till Pac comes back which will probably be some scrub. (please no woolfolk) But Fuller or Griff can obviuosly play CB in a pinch and Finn can do the same at S so less should be needed because of their versatility.

Then wait for Pac to come back.

6. when we are at full strength i would expect it to look something like this
    #1 CB - Pacman
    #2 CB - Finnegan
    FS - Hope
    SS - Griffin

moving Griffin to SS will allow him to play closer to the LOS where he can help our run support more and it will move hope back to his normal position

7. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

If Lamont somehow sees the field this year for extensive playing time, it'll be highway robbery.

8. i will probably cry

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Jeff Fisher on NFL Total Access just said he is going to start working out Griffin at corner for the time being. And so it goes.....

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

What about Harper who we're now paying $3mil/yr? I think when we're at full strength (assuming we keep Pacman) we're more likely to look like...

#1 CB Pacman
    #2 CB Harper
    #3 CB Finnegan
    #4 CB Fuller, Hill, or Smith
    FS Griffin
    SS Hope

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar