The plan for Griffin

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I suspect they'll work him out at CB first (like the Raiders did with Huff) to see if he CAN play CB for us next year or if he's strictly a S. Right now he MIGHT be able to play. It behooves them to find out now.

I think they feel that if Pac is suspended for the year and Griff can play CB well, he'll compete for a starting spot there with the likely starters at S being Hope at FS and Scott at SS (unless Fuller or Lowry can beat Scott out). They may also decide that Hill is OK (enough) with a good S playing over the top of him.

Where Griffin can play will strongly affect what they can do with the rest of the guys.

Gut

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I went back and read the profiles for Fuller, Lowry and Finnegan. After doing so, which admittedly has little to do with where these players are now, this is how I'd like the secondary to look, depending on where they play Griffin.

Safety - Hope, Griffin

Cornerback - Harper, Finnegan

Nickle - Fuller/Waddell/Smith

OR

Safety - Hope, Fuller

Cornerback - Harper, Griffin

Nickle - Finnegan

But I suppose it may look like this

Safety - Hope, Finnegan (or Thompson, God forbid)

Cornerback - Harper, Hill

Nickle - Griffin

or Griffin and Finnegan could be reversed.

But what I came up with is that Lowry is best suited to play dime unless he's playing strong safety and bulked up a bit. Really good instincts, but pedestrian speed. Not good for coverage.

Fuller has the smarts as we know to line up the secondary. If we get Thompson at least out of the starting lineup (please), then I think Fuller, if he hasn't regressed, should play FS or Nickle. He can hit, he played corner for two years and we most will remember how quickly he digested the playbook and how Fisher raved about it. Hopefully, Fuller is still his boy. I'd play him at nickle or FS, and I'd do the same with Finnegan. If you have Griffin, Fuller and Finnegan on the field with Hope, I think you could just about mix these guys up from snap to snap, if you wanted. Harper would be the only guy you could really count on being in the same place.

Anyway, point is, Griffin, Fuller and Finnegan can all play CB or FS, and Griffin and Hope can switch safety positions. I hope these are the 5 DBs we see, with an improved Hill (I actually hope he makes big strides and got his neck worked on) mixed in.

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

IMO the best 5 we have are Hope, Griffin, Harper, Finnegan & Fuller.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

Agreed! And it'll be hard to argue getting out of the nickel look with Thornton and Bulluck as the LB's! I think we could have a very nice secondary...

My only question is...will it make much of a difference with Schwartz running the D?

Can anyone give me a good reason why we shouldn't have (AT THE VERY LEAST) a middle of the pack defensive ranking?

Gut

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, we're not going to be getting much of a pass rush...

6. no... i honestly with the players that we have cannot, it seems to be the scheme, on paper we should be a very stout defense

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

You mean besides Schwartz? No.

8. thats what i said

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Does Fuller even get on the field?

10. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

I have no clue Danny. I'll let training camp decide that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar