The QB of the Future?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Munch doesn't want one but it'll happen anyway if the Titans start out bad no matter who is named starter.

2. TitanJeff

Simple. Experience.

Think back to Locker against the Saints. He had a great game but, when the game was on the line, made a bad play. This wasn't based on physical ability but simply not having the experience.

You make it sound like Hasselbeck had a bad season last year. The QB position was about the only bright spot for most of the season.

Explosive as in running? We need a passer who can make the read and throw.

It was last year. Give the Titans a running game and a pass rush and I think the Titans would have played in January.

I'm hoping Locker wins the job. It's best for the future of the Titans. I don't think they are ready at the moment to be much better than 9-7 mainly due to the defense. So I like the idea of getting the young gun as much experience now as possible.

But if he's doesn't give the Titans the best chance to win the game, no way should he be on the field.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

It's not that simple. Experience doesn't win games. It certainly didn't win Hass many games last year. I'll give him the Baltimore game. That's the only game in which Hass stood out as being a good QB. The rest was average to below average, and at some points pathetic.

Locker out performed Hasselbeck in the saints game. If He would have started that game, he wouldn't have had to try to pull out a clutch win. Locker showed a lot of promise in that game, but people only seem to remember that one play. I've watched it several times. MM and DW got shoved on their faces and Hawk and Cook couldn't get open. It was a terrible play call in my opinion. I didn't see anyone Locker could have gone to before it was too late. He should have just lobbed up a jump ball I guess. If He would have won that game we wouldn't have even been having this discussion. Locker would have been the starter from then on.

Hasselbeck had an average season last season, which is about all you're going to get from an average QB. He played well against bad teams and played bad against good teams. Do you really think he had a good season last year? I have higher standards at the QB position than that.

Explosive as in passing the ball over 20 yds. Explosive as in making plays with his legs instead of throwing the ball away when theres nothing there. Explosive as in making big plays and putting a spark in the offense. Not like checking the ball down and throwing it short of the sticks on third and long.

So Hasselbeck put us over the top last year??....... Hahahaha
    With a good run game and a good pass rush, we may have been playing in January, but not with Hass. He checked out after the Bye and didn't show back up until maybe the Jags game. I don't see how you guys talk about Hass the way you do. Do you remember the last half of the season. For the most part it was pathetic. I was done with Hasselbeck being the starter by the end of the season, and it seemed like most fans were done too. But the further it gets from those games, the more people seem to be warming back up to the average vet. You'll be reminded of it soon enough if they decide to start him.

How will we know if Locker doesn't give the team the best chance to win if we never let him on the field?

4. TitanJeff

Check the franchise record book. He's had the most passing yards of any QB in history not named "Moon". He didn't have Britt most of the season or a decent running game. I can understand wanting Locker to win out the #1 (I know I do) but to call Hasselbeck a bum or not give him credit for many of last season's wins is putting on the blinders tightly and ignoring reality.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

I thought Hasselbeck did fine given what he had to work with, and considering he was injured.

While I do hope Locker starts, I wouldn't mind seeing what Hass could do with us having a better OLine, a better defense, a decent run game, and some better help at the WR position.

6. mud

mud Locker Fan Boy

I take issue with Munch letting camp decide... These are two very different QB's, you are limiting yourself to an offense that plays between the two skill sets if you don't commit to one. I'm sure Locker will have some more movement and some QB runs, but the offense will generally have to be playable by either QB, which kind of sucks.

7. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

That's what I'm saying. Aside from the negative effect on the offense, it is like saying "Who is better, Tebow or Sanchez?"

I don't know, but

1. You can't tell because they play so different.

2. They will both suck until you pick one and cater the offense to them.

Pretty sure it is no secret that if Tebow tried to play like Sanchez and Sanchez like Tebow, the Jets are going 0-16.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Jets are going 0-16 anyway.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think this sounds about right, and honestly if Hass goes 0-3 then no excuse not to start Locker. Of course that somewhat depends on the actual QB play but regardless the sooner we know if Locker is legit the better.

10. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

That's irrelevant! Good for Hasselbeck, give him a gold star and a blue ribbon! We are not going to be playing the Oilers on Sundays! Compared to the rest of the league, whom we will be playing, hasselbeck is average. Not even consistently average. He was good at times and pathetic at times. Stop giving Hass excuses. Locker out performed Hass with the same team. Any QB in the league would improve with a healthy KB and a good running game. I never said Hass was a bum, you came up with that one on your own. I gave Hass credit for his wins. I just said that he only beat 1 team with a winning record. The rest of his wins were against losing teams. He also lost games against terrible teams.

Excuse me for not being complacent and even impressed with average inconsistent play at QB.
    Anyone who believes that Matt Hasselbeck is a viable playoff caliber QB at this stage of his career is not living in reality. Talk about having blinders on. Titan colored blinders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar