The QB of the Future?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Amazing. You think they should have handed the reins over to Locker from the get-go last season? He had zero OTAs. He didn't even get to see the playbook until camp. To throw any kid in there under those circumstances, with limited offensive weapons and a sucky defense, would have been stupid.

As for the final few games of the season, there's no way to know if starting Locker changes anything. Yes, I would have played him against the Colts but I blame a defense who allowed a scrub RB to run all over them more than I do Hasselbeck.

We missed the playoffs because the Titans D couldn't get pressure on opposing QBs and their big-time RB and OL played like crap. If the Titans had VY or Collins at QB last season, I doubt they'd won five games with that defense and running game.

I don't get the criticism of Hasselbeck here. It's okay to give the guy some credit while also wanting the best man to win the position this season.

Completely agree.

And props for the avatar. It adds "meaning" to your posts.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

yep. That's what I look for in my bowel movements and my QB's

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I have definitely been one of the bigger Locker supporters/Hass critics on here, but I don't really have a problem with giving Hass credit, I think that starting him last year was a good decision. There was so much change that was going on, that having a stable veteran QB to lead the team was very important. And I think Hass did a fine job at it last year (for the most part). He gave the team exactly what it needed, a bridge between the past and the future.

And if Hass comes in and blows Locker out of the water in camp, or if Locker completely stinks it up, then I don't think anyone would have a problem with Hass being the starter this year ... but that is probably not going to happen.

But I think the main reason that some of us "Hass critics" might seem to be so critical of his play, and not give him much credit is because a lot of his supporters (including the local media) are acting like this guy played a great season last year. And that just isn't true. He put up average stats, and played like an average QB all season long.

I will also admit that Hass is not the sole reason that the Titans lost some key games such as the Colts game. The running game and defense were also terrible that game. But the Hass supporters seem to want to excuse Hass' poor play because of those facts, and ignore the fact that Hass played just as bad as everyone else that game. IMO the QB should be the leader of the team, and is supposed to be able to put the team on his shoulders and lead them to victory, even when the rest of the team isn't playing up to par. That is what the leagues best QBs do ... that is not something that Hass did once last year, or even really come close to doing.

If there were no other options at QB, or if the only other option was VY/KFC then nobody on here would complain about Hass, but we have a 1st rd pick sitting on the bench. I am not saying that he should start just because he is a 1st round pick, but when the media is saying things like "the QB competition is a hoax" and fans are saying that they are completely content with Hass being the starter, that confuses me. Most fan bases would be chomping at the bit to see their young guy come in and play if the incumbent was anything less than spectacular.

But if you want the "Hass critics" to not be so hard on him and give him some credit, then the "Hass supporters" need to concede that Hass wasn't that great last year.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Okay so he's no Aaron Rodgers, happy?

Let's call him a wiser and lighter Josh Freeman?

5. JCBRAVE

Aw crap, I just had a thought.

So Josh Freeman led his Bucs to a 10-6 record in 2010 and missed the playoffs that year. Matt Hasselbeck led us to a 9-7 record and also missed the playoffs.

What if sticking with Hasselbeck leads to a 4-12 season like it did for the Bucs.... Dum dum dum...

6. TitanJeff

A 3,000 yard passer on a team that lost it's #1 WR and had a limited running game is not "average". Yes, he ended up right in the middle in the league but he had little help. You put that kind of season together in 2000 and you have Bud with a rock on his middle finger the next time he flips someone off.

Since McNair's '03 season, which Titans QB has had a better season?

7. JCBRAVE

The answer is NO ONE!!!!

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Vince Young just wins though

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I'm not saying that. With a rookie QB, no offseason, and Hasselbeck being decent, going with the veteran is the best way to go. I would remind you, however, that Newton and Dalton had the same disadvantages. It wouldn't have been lunacy as you seem to want to present it. We simply had more options than the Panthers, Vikings, Bengals, and Jaguars.

Blaming the defense for that Colts game? The defense held the Colts to a field goal in the first half. What's special about that? The fact that we had seven offensive series, and four first downs, two of which converted right before half time. The defense got worn out thanks to the craptastic offense. We lost that game moreso because of Hasselback. The defense had it's struggles last season. There's no denying it, but this is the wrong game to blame on the defense. The first half of the season, Hasselbeck was very decent. I wouldn't take that from him. The second half, he was terrible. Evens out to average over a season. I would feel better going forward, however, if he had started terrible and played better as the season went on.

Here's a little fun fact. Chris Johnson averaged 4.0 yards per carry last season. Know what he averaged the season before? 4.3 yards per carry. But how could that be? He only had a little over 1,000 yards rushing last season? The answer is simple. Change in philosophy. Fisher would have kept pounding the ball with Johnson all season. Instead, with Munchak, Johnson had almost the same amount of carries last season as his rookie season when he was splitting carries with Lendale White. He almost doubled his receiving yards from the previous season. For the first time since this team has been in Tennessee, we have a head coach who wants to pass the ball. I'm not saying any of this to discredit Hasselbeck. He did pass for the most yards since Moon, and he earned his yards. However, let's not pretend or imply that we go back to Fisherball just because Locker is in the game.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. TitanJeff

I think Munch would have preferred a more balanced game plan. He couldn't do it last season because the offense was ineffective running the football much of the season AND/OR the Titans were playing catchup and needed to put up points.

That, plus he was saw a more effective offense with Hasselbeck throwing the ball.

I hope, whoever wins the job, the Titans can have a more balanced attack. I don't see them going far this season if they don't get more from CJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar