The REAL NCCA Champion: BCS Tonight!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Wyoming.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

unfortunately we'll never find out, but they lead Bama throughout the entire game and beat them by more points than UF. it took florida 6 minutes left in the fourth to get the lead.

beating Bama got UF a spot in the title game. beating Bama got Utah nothing. go figure.

3. Fry

how many UF games do you watch per season? all florida does is throw bubble screens and 10 yard hitches with the occasional three yard crossing route to harvin. anyone who can throw the ball through a tire ten yards away would succeed in this offense.

i have met him, played against him my senior year in high school. lost 7-6 on a missed last second FG. he seemed like a nice enough guy.

i don't see how louis murphy can get called for unsportsmanlike conduct for signaling first down, but tim tebow can run 15 yards down the field and do his little get up dance after a first down and nothing is called.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Granted, he isnt a great deep ball passer, but Florida most definately throws intermediate routes often, and Tebow can make any intermediate throw rather easily.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

A lot more than just beating Bama got Florida in the title game. Unlike Utah, who was squeaking out 13-10 wins over New Mexico, Florida was beating Georgia, LSU, FSU, etc.

6. Fry

"Just take a look at the teams that think they're worthy of being called national champs:

USC? Great year. Wonderful. Let's all go to SkyBar and celebrate. But it lost to Oregon State, a team Utah beat.

Texas? You think beating Ohio State by a nubby three points gets you the title? The Big Ten was 1-6 in bowl games! That's like pinning David Spade!

Florida and Oklahoma? They lost. Utah never did.

So that's it. Utah is the national champion. The Utes should probably have two now, actually. They went undefeated in 2004, too, and their coach still thinks they were the best team in the land. Smart fella named Urban Meyer. Coaches Florida now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3815656

he makes a much more compelling argument than i can.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

His argument isnt compelling to me in the least. Football fans and writers, in both college and and NFL are far too reactionary. Oregon state, because they upset USC, is supposed to be great win for Utah right? Lets look at ORegon state. They were beaten 45-14 by Penn state, 65-38 by Oregon, and 36-28 by an average Stanford team. But, because they upset USC, I am supposed to look at Utah beating Oregon State as a great win? I dont. Am I supposed to look at Utah's 13-10 win over TCU as a great win? The same TCU that Oklahoma beat 35-10? I dont. And then I am supposed to put huge stock in a win over an Alabama team, who was just coming off a loss in their biggest game of the year? I dont.

Nothing against Utah, they had a great year and are certainly an impressive team. But none of their so called big wins are that impressive if you really look at it. Again, everybody wants to bring up how Utah beat Oregon state, and Oregon state beat USC. Nobody wants to bring up that Oregon state got the **** kicked out of them twice and also lost to a mediocre Standford team.

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Or how a Florida player gets a 15 yard penalty for taking his helmet off but when Tebow did it after he thought he heard a whistle. Unless it's knocked off I didn't think you were ever allowed to take it off.

Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1(h), the removal of a helmet during or after the play except when in the bench area constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct.

I'm not saying Florida would have missed the FG which happened on the very next play but pushing them 15 yards back wouldn't have made it any easier.

My problem with Utah not being able to win a championship is that if you go undefeated and do what they did its flat out unfair. BYU has won a National Championship before so why not Utah?

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Heard this stat on the radio, check it out.

Florida

Number of teams beaten who finished in the top 25: 3
    Number of teams beaten who finished in the top 10: 2
    Number of losses: 1

Utah

Number of teams beaten who finished in the top 25: 4
    Number of teams beaten who finished in the top 10: 2
    Number of losses: 0

Utah SHOULD be the National Champions end of story.

10. Fry

no they shouldn't. no team should be handed the title because of their record, but they should get a shot at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar