The Real Problem With Lendale

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Texas_Titan_1, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas_Titan_1

Texas_Titan_1 Camp Fodder

I know we have discussed LW weight at great length, but I truely believe that is the real reason he does not seem to have that explosiveness that he showed in college. I did not add youtube vids for comparison, but if you don't believe me look for yourself. His playing weight may truely be at 240, but I gaurantee that the problem is his body fat percentage. I have been slightly overweight most of my life. When I weigh myself at 220 I am fat, but then I went on a diet and I lost 40 lbs. Then I started working out and actually went back up to 220, however there was a huge differance. Originally I was 220 with a 40 waistline, but then went down and back up to 220 with a 36 inch waistline. The truth is lendale may be at his college playing weight, but he is nowhere near his college playing shape. If you don't believe me take a look at some old and current vids. The proof is in his feet. In college you could see the quickness in his short quick steps. Contrast it to the vid of the bucs game and you will see the difference. Another and the most telling example is his feet direction. Believe me I know from experience. But when he was in shape his feet faced forward, take a look at current vid and they face slightly outward. This is what happens to a mans stance when he is overweight. In short lendale is not a bad back, he is just a back in bad shape. If he can get his act together you will notice the quickness and ability to hit a hole. You will also notice his ability to break tackles and cutback will also improve. We all know mucle weighs more than fat, and right now he is carring more fat than muscle.

Not the best vids, but watch his feet as he runs.
    College - quick feet.
    Pros - not so quick feet

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KlTCVVoleA4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KlTCVVoleA4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This is not the best vid to demonstrate, if someone has the game tivoed and can upload some better footage, you will see what im talking about.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8034ba9d

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Interesting comments. Mind posting a vid of both which are typical?

If this is solely a conditioning issue, we should be hearing about fines. I understood his rookie season due to the hammy. Entering camp this year heavy was inexcusable. But he appeared to be heading in the right direction.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you noticed it too, huh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and looking at his rookie premier photo shoot pictures, he looked like he was in better shape then rather than now....

[​IMG]

4. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

I'm still convinced that 50% of Lendales problem is this: the NFL game is too fast for him, at least, for right now. NFL defenses and college defenses are 2 totally different worlds, and we haven't played any "cupcake" defenses either...

And the fact that he is a 'heavy' back that runs *into* his blockers may have something to do with it.

5. Fry

i'd say the saints defense is pretty bad, and he averaged 2.9 YPC against them.

6. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

well i found a good video and from watching it i can see couple of things(link for video below)

i see a player that seems to be running very fast for his size....however he lacks an agile style meaning he tries sometimes to run through things he should juke from or spin away from. notice that one juke he pulls off in the video (its not taht he cant do it...that was a very nice one and in wathicn more of the vid i saw him pull of some nice agile moves).... he doesnt stutter step enough either in the pro level. also from the video i can see that the holes opened up @ his college days are bigger those in the nfl. he does have some cut back abliity but again he prefers to be that downfield runner. He also likes to fall down a lot again b/c he doenst like sidestepping away from certain tacklers. however, in watching some of his runs...actually a lot of them..he does again show that he can double cut and studder step and when he does in from what i saw in that vid he gets a lot of yardage when he adds power to that.

therefore fromtaht anylisis i ask two questions...

1 - is his 'fast' speed only relataive to the college leve.?

2 - y does he not show the agility (stutter step, double cut, juke, spin) he did in college? is he scared b/c he has been fubmlin a lot 2..is that a possible reason....but really wath that vid an i've seen himplay tihs year....does nyone else c this....

that is my assessment...link for this very nice vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AfvopCJtGnE

7. Fry

the only thing that showed me was USC had a great o-line that could move the line of scrimmage four yards foward before LenUseless got the hand-off

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Can we take him to a hypnotist and make him think there are burgers in the endzone? Bottom line, he has crap for a work ethic and won't be successful until someone gets his fat butt in shape.

9. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Exactly.

10. Texas_Titan_1

Texas_Titan_1 Camp Fodder

1. We are not comparing his "speed" as in relative to persuers at the college or pro level. I am using the video to show the speed of his footwork, which does not change based opposition. The change is caused by his weight gain.

2. He does not show it because he is overweight and not in as good as shape as in college. That is the point i am trying to make.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar