The real reason Billys gone

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I don't know, it probably also sucks to retire as a backup and always wonder "what if?", "Could I have been a starter?", sometimes it's better to gamble and fail than to not gamble at all. Who risks nothing gains nothing.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And as Fisher said, being a #2 is very different from a #1.

They tried to get a gimpy Culpepper in mid-March before the McNair thing had even finished playing out. Does that tell you anything? I don't think they ever had faith after watching him last year run Chows offense that he would get it done.

As to why the Titans waited so late to bring in Collins, I have my personal opinion but nothing confirmed. Regardless, I think when he continued to miss reads in the preseason game, they felt anything was a better option.

Right. He thrived under Dinger because he has a nice deep ball. It is also the reason he remained the #2 as long as he did.

As to why I wasn't calling him limited, I don't judge unless I can see for myself in a regular season game. All I had was some poor games last season which, I had hoped, was the exception instead of the norm. But I did say throughout the entire McNair mess that Steve was the best shot the Titans had to being a winner this season and was the best player on the offense last season. He would be again this season.

3. TitanJeff

If that is how you think I feel, you've been very selective in the posts you've read. I've pointed my finger a number of times at Fisher on this and never advocated starting Collins over him in game 1. But I think, over the course of the season, it will be the better option.

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Hey, easy now...I might be selling insurance this time next year! :irked:

5. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Bahhh! My opinions aren't coming from media releases at all.:banned:

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

nice rebuttle.:flamegun:

7. TitanJeff

But is NFL QB an option for you? ;)

8. Sledge

Sledge Guest

I think Billy slept with Fisher's wife...

9. Sledge

Sledge Guest

A winner until he steps onto the field and takes a snap...

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I acknowledge that you have been one who has been critical of Fisher. My point was that alot of the negative we hear now about Volek is Fisher's way of trying to make his decision look intelligent. Fisher could have looked brilliant if Collins had come in and won one of those first two games. His 26 QB rating and two horrific loses later just flames the fire of Fisher's stupidity. As for how things will turn out over the course of the season we still will not know how Billy would have done. Who is to say he couldn't play well enough to beat the Jets and also improve over the year. Again, I'm not saying in any way Billy is a great QB but the options were limited. Throwing Billy under the bus not only hurt Billy it hurt the team.

Also, we all seem to agree that under Heimerdinger Billy was in a system that fit him more than Chows. So who's job is it to get the most out of the talent he has? Isn't it Chow's job to script plays that have the greatest chance of success for the talent on the field? Note the Cardinal game last year and Billy's perfect long TD pass early in the game. If that is what the guy does well then run those kind of plays. Don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Collins isn't exactly known for being great at running a short to medium offense that requires great precision and decision making either. How about VY? Is Chow going to run plays that take advantage of his skills while minimizing his weaknesses or is Chow going to force Young to play Chow's game. We all know that this was going to be a difficult season for the team and that whoever was our QB was simply a stop gap. Chow's job is to call whatever game plan will help us be competitive reguardless of who our QB is. If Chow is still here after this year (which I doubt) he could ruin VY's career with his bull headed attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar