The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose4now

moose4now Starter

But, now that we've played Denver we know what to expect from those teams.

When it comes time to play them, they won't know what's hit them. :winker:

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well, look at it this way...

Denver ran there base offense (their vanilla offense) and carved up our vanilla D. When we prepare for them, we'll be preparing to stop their vanilla offense. When are WE gonna adjust to their schemed offense we haven't seen yet?

And that IS assuming we're able to stop their vanilla offense!

Gut

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Preseason is preseason there is a reason it does not count on our record.

Every team has bad days. We were depleted at the D line and it showed. No pass rush and no ability to stop the push of the O-line on runs adds up to bad scores. I would have liked to see our O control the clock more but it did not happen.

The talk about coaches being fired and the team being a sub NFL caliber team is ridiculous. It was one preseason game, away, against a team that is hoping to contend for the AFC.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Execution...

Ultimately I'm talking about execution of a gameplan/play call.

No matter how vanilla a base D is, there is no excuse for getting carved up like that unless the other team is doing something exotic...like lining up 5 WR's every play and we stay in our base 4-3. But Denver just ran their base vanilla offense...and they ripped us...even with a player WE CUT!!!

Most fans look at the results (the score, yards, ect), but if you see what is supposed to happen vs what IS happening, you can see we're making a lot of HS mistakes.

We made a few of them against the Saints...oh, just one game, right? Then we made A LOT of them against Denver. By my count that is 2 games. But if you only look back over the last couple of years, these mistakes are nothing new!

So this fantasy that this will all go away during the pre-season is a fallacy. Hopefully they will correct a lot of things and bringing in more guys who demand accountability (Hope, Thornton) will help, but these mistakes come from coaching....PERIOD!

Hopefully we see improvement in the Falcons game because they can't look any worse (or can they). If you're hoping for a 7 win season, be satisfied. We have more than enough talent to accomplish that.

But if you're like me...wanting every ounce of talent to be utilized on the field, then you should be asking or demanding more!

Gut

5. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I have already stated my predictions on the teams outcome for next season. 7 wins is +1 on what I assume we will do. The team that played the Broncos will not win 7 games, no way especially with our schedule.

But you also have to look at our D line. We are playing with a #2 (with head issues) and a #4. AH out, Starks dodging reporters, Long out for season, Now Odom hurt. We are depleted on the line and a strong run team showed exactly that. Our LBs were trying to over compensate for the issues and looked a step behind. Yes we looked bad out there and some of the stuff was fundamentals but the pendulum sure swings fast for one preseason game.

You act like mistakes are not part of the game. At Denver there was no excuse but our 1st teams looked very good playing the Saints.

In our 4-3 set we only had one starter in position on our D line. That does not add up to wins that adds up to getting through a game.

I was actually more disappointed in our O. We did nothing to keep our D off the field. We even gave additional opportunities to the offense with nothing more then 3 points and our 60+ million QB getting nailed on the goal line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar