The snyder draft...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2004, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think that 2008 and 2009 are going to be our real chances to make a SB run. We all know that we have to fix the run defense and improve our running game. Well here is a draft to do that, but it is in the style of Dan Snyder.

1st rnd best DE at #19
    2nd trade for Michael Turner
    3rd trade for Kris Jenkins
    4th given to Colts for Jason David
    5th or 6th rnd trade for McCarriens

This assumes that we are going to the cover-2 defense with Harper and David being our starters.

Kris Jenkins although injured for 2004, 2005 returned to pro-bowl form last yr. Besides his major shoulder injury and then knee injury he has played all 16 games. He is only 27 and his contract still has 3 yrs on it. He would allow us more flexibility in dealing with AH/Long/Starks next offseason. I think he would be very motivated to show the Panthers they were wrong in cutting him especially since we play them this yr. AH should be motivated as well since it is his contract yr. Imagine if they both had great yrs.

McCarriens would give us a proven #2/3 WR who also has proven ST/return skills which is what we need. He is signed for another 3 yrs and his contract is about the same as what Wade got this yr.

I know this won't happen, but I'd be real excited if it did. We would be loaded with young veteran depth for our SB run in 2008, 2009. We reload in those drafts for post 2009 run because 2009 is when a bunch of contracts come up and we look to bleed talent. Until then we are adding talent.

2. i do not want mccariens at all

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

why would we want both of the colts' starting corners? have you seen the colts d the past 9 years?

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Well actually I have watched the Colts CBs and they have been quite productive. Last yr they were 2nd in fewest passing yds and 5th in fewest TDs passing. In 2005 they were 3rd in fewest TDs passing. Of course this is done to make the switch to the cover-2. Jason David has started every game the past 2.5 yrs. I think getting a quality starting CB is a great value for just giving up a 4th rnder. If we don't go to the cover-2 then I would have no interest in him. Getting David also hurts the Colts which is nice.

Obviously the 2 big moves would be getting Jenkins and Turner. I just love that they both would greatly impact the running game and stopping the run which are the basics to Fisherball.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, but why pass againt the colts when you can get 5.3 and 4.4 YPC againt them on the ground? that was the mindset offenses had against them.

if david was that good or important to the colts, they wouldnt trade him to a division rival for a fourth round pick.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

No doubt that stats are a little skewed because of their poor run defense. But I think whenever you can get a guy that has started and played in 40 consecutive games for a 4th rnd pick it is a good deal. How often do 4th rnders turn into dependable starters.

It wouldn't be a trade. He is an RFA and so we can sign him to an offer sheet. It is then up to the Colts to decide how valuable he is. I think the Colts were trying to save cap room by not tendering him at a more expensive higher tender. We should at least make the Colts spend a little more of their cap to keep him.

As I've said several times I would only do this if we are switching to the cover-2 which I wish we would.

7. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I've never liked the 'future is now' approach, with Vince, we've got the QB position set for a while, we can build a great team around him. Look at the teams that are really successful right now, all of them have built their teams through the draft, you don't see the Chargers doing much trading, the Patriots have only recently started bringing in talent, and they're on the decline, the Colts have repeatedly let talented players go. I want the Titans to get to the top and stay there for at least 4-5 years, and the way to do that is to build through the draft, trading for vets will get a good team for 1-2 years, but you drop off quickly and sharply, if you don't win the Super Bowl in those 1-2 years, you suddenly have nothing to show for all the money you spent building an all-star team.

8. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

mccariens had his prime years ago, and it wasnt that great.

9. Yeah, but he can be a help on special teams...

It would take more than a 2nd round pick to get Turner from the chargers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar