The Strain

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Ewker, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Salem's Lot is the best Vampire book I have ever read. I did like the Interview with a Vampire by Rice was good also.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I should have named this thread..any one ever read Stephen King's books :p

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I read Salem's Lot in high school and much of it is gone from my memory, but I recall really liking it. I've never read any of the Anne Rice books though.
    If I had to peg a vampire favorite, although it's more of a short story Matheson's I Am Legend is great and is the reason we have the George Romero Z Culture (just swapped out the type of undead). I read Let The Right One In a couple of years ago and it was fantastic as well..

4. Big TT

Matheson's was more of a Zombie type of thing really wasn't it...at least the way I pictured it.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

In the book they were vampires. Neville spent his days fortifying his home, milling wooden stakes and mounting garlic on all the doors. Romero adapted the idea and replaced zombies for vampires for Night of The Living Dead.
    I Am Legend is worth the read and can be finished in a sitting or two. I always loved that Matheson went the extra mile describing the end of humanity with howling winds and desperate loneliness. There is a chapter about Neville attempting to befriend a dog - which is a pretty heartbreaking bit. Even though I'm a fan of the old Vincent Price' Last Man on Earth and Omega Man I never thought they did the book justice in any of the films (especially that Will Smith CGI fest).
    Matheson was the master of these nightmares and never seemed to get the public credit he probably deserved. Hell he wrote many of the great Twighlite Zone episodes (Burgess Meredith in the post-apocalyptic library, Shatner in the airplane etc.)

6. Big TT

Also wrote "Who goes there", which The Thing by Carpenter is based...along with the 1950's B flick "The Thing from another World" which he "covered".

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I did not know that.. I thought Who Goes There was done by a sci pulp author.
    Learn something new every day..

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Next to Twilight, right?

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I hated that book - LOL

I just don't like Kings style though. I would be 2-3 pages into a chapter before I could sort out 'who' in hades King was talking about NOW. Changed focus every dang chapter.

Again I just don't like the style

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm really like The Intruders show on BBC Murica, but it's really blending in with the Strain to the point that I get them intertwined in my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar