The Titans are...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Here are the reasons I could see the team being on the market:

- The Adams family does not seem as invested in this team as an ownership group should be. No one really seems to want it. Tommy throws in the towel after a year. Then there's complete disarray until the league steps in and practically forces an appropriate ownership structure.

- In addition to the above, there is a TON of money at stake here.

- Underwood is suddenly being kept on "throughout the season" despite the official line after Tommy Boy left being that he was just temporary and was working to get a new guy in place ASAP. Underwood has been a friend and lawyer of the Adams family for years and years and years. So who better to steer the ship throughout a potential sale? Also you would not want to bring in a brand new President/CEO knowing you are going to sell the team within a year and the new regime would want their own guy anyway.

- JLC, regardless of what you may think of him, swears that he knows for a fact there is/was internal discussion about selling the team. I know a lot of people do not think he is very credible. But I have a hard time believing he just completely made this up. And if he did he is doing an Oscar-worthy acting job about selling it.

- Mariota, the new stadium naming deal, shaking up the fan experience side of things.... all could potentially be construed as moves to drum up fan excitement/ticket sales which in turn could drive up the asking price for a looming sale. A team that is "turning the corner" (whether real or perceived) is more valuable than a team that is stuck in the dumps.

^ Nothing concrete by any means but just a few of the reasons a sale would not surprise me one bit.

The Underwood thing is the one that really raises my eyebrow. Why the sudden 180? At first the word was that he was there simply to put a new front man in place right away. Then we find out he never even interviewed anyone and is staying on "throughout the season". To me that seems most telling of all. Of course all just speculation though.

#21 SawdustMan, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    • High Five High Five x 2
  2. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

If the franchise didn't have multiple people with 1/3 stake we'd probably know more one way or the other the direction the owner wants to go. Sell or stay.

3. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Just because they're "not interested" in the team doesn't mean they don't like the huge sums of money rolling in. Millions rolling in every year for something you barely have to take notice of seems good to me! Why cash in all your chips when the table is still hitting great?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Seeing KSAIV become more and more involved encourages me to think that he aspires to carry on the legacy that Bud built. He says at the Nissan presser that he and his family plan on being with the Titans in Tennessee for a loooong time and I want to believe that. It appears to me that KSAIV is stepping up as the man in charge and I must say I think I like that.

I like that because if I inherited ownership in the team I would do my damnedest to build on the legacy that Bud created. Bud loved this team and would never sell, I truly believe that. And I hope that KSAIV honors Bud by holding on to the team as long as possible.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He doesn't care

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

And cashing out of a company you aren't overly invested in for a lump sum 1+ billion payday divided 5 (or whatever) ways doesn't sound so bad either.

I guess we'll find out in about a year. All any of us can really do right now is speculate and say what we might or might not do in the shoes of a bunch of multi-millionaires.

7. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

"Slap ourselves with the tax liability for a billion dollar transaction with a Democrat in the White House? Aw Hell naww."

See, it's easy to specualte.

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Hasn't stopped several other sports teams from changing hands with a "Democrat in the White House".

I've said all along all we can do is speculate. I do however believe it's a bit narrow-minded to take anything the FO currently says on the matter completely at face value. They have zero reason to be publicly open and upfront about it if the team were on the market.

9. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Do you know how much money $1,200,000,000 is do you know?

10. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Their stadium is state of the art? Then why did those jerks in Madden give it such bad ratings and make me have to upgrade so much in GM mode o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar