The Titans have offered a contract to former Jaguars receiver Matt Jones.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

sure, why not

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Lest I remind you of that bum we signed off the street who is now our back up QB.

3. Shanvhere

Shanvhere Elite

Why not

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you can have the athlete, I'll take a football player, something Matt Jones proved he is not in Jacksonville.

trust me, I watched the guy try to play WR, he can't do it. he'll make the incredible catch and drop the routine one. he has horrible field awareness on the sidelines and endzones.

i'm not a big gage fan, but there's no way in hell he's an upgrade.

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

If he can come in and outplay any one of our current WRs then I can see why we'd be doing this.

But I don't like the idea of him taking playing time away from Hawkins. He looked good playing with Vince in the AZ game.

6. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

Matt Jones doesn't sound appealing to me at all. If they wanna start looking to sign someone how about a good defense player or offer Bulluck or one of our other important players a contract. The Titans always shop in the trift store when it comes to signing players

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6CMOHewOeO0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6CMOHewOeO0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He was an absolute stud running the ball as a QB at Arkansas.

Some of the comments here are stupid. If he is better than hawkins he is worth signing especially when we don't even know for how much. The last year he played he had 65 for over 700 yards better numbers than any WR we had this year.

I think this is about the wildcat and being able to run those types of sets without any unusual personnel. And because this guy actually did play QB in college he is a bigger threat as a passer than a RB would be.

He would be a great pickup and not expensive at all.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm frankly getting sick of many of the regular posters on this board who just spew out caca without any basis of fact.

A poster actually said he wouldn't be a threat to run out of the wildcat? This guy was as good a runner in college as vince young! An absolute stud running with the football.

As a wide receiver in 2008 matt jones had more yards and more catches than ANY titan WR this year!

There is the issue of depth, flexibility. If Washington is not more productive next year he might not be here in 2011. Gage is a free agent in 2011.

I do think they have very specific reasons for wanting matt jones but he is as good a WR as any guy we got except britt and if he can do other things than why in the hell not?

9. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG I'm Winning The Future

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Justin Gage gave us 28 catches for 383 yards last year.

Matt Jones in 2008 had 65 catches for 761 yards.

One story that none of us has really discussed is how Gage's numbers have fallen in the last 2 years after his great free agency year.

Gage
    2007 55 750
    2008 24 651
    2009 28 383

His numbers keep going down and another mediocre effort this year might mean that we don't keep him for the last year of his contract. Nate Washington didn't exactly light it up this year either for a guy with a $4.5M a year deal.

WTF is wrong with having a comparable guy to add depth and compete with those 2 guys? Especially when he costs less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar