The Truth About Rod Hood

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dbc5631, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

I can't believe people are in love with this guy! He's been cut more than construction paper at an elementary school, he is worthless trying to tackle on run defense cause he's scared of contact, 1 of his INTs was a tip, 1 was a pick play by a REF. All the fanboys see is the 3 INTs in the stats column and collectively think he should start. Two active players didn't see the field Monday night and he was one of them. A couple of chance INTs doesn't merit playing time when you're a terrible tackler, avoid contact, get flagged for personal fouls and get thrown/scored on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoEzsL7e1UY

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Hmm...interesting take. Except your last line just described Harper....except take away the THREE interceptions in the past three games prior to Monday night. You can make excuses about almost every INT that happens as to why it did...but the fact is he has been in the right place at the right time and made those plays and scored a TD on one of them.

Harper??? Not so much.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Agreed. Even if hes a horrible tackler & gets "lucky" with interceptions. Hes still as good or better than Harper & comes up with more plays than Harper. We have been burned enough with Harper and at least Hood is creating turnovers when hes on the field and I don't recall him getting beat deep 2 times a game when he played so i'll take whatever plays Hood gives up over what Harper gives up any day.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

You do realise that serveral of the plays in that video are good plays by Hood, tackling te receiver as soon as he catches the ball? You also do realise that in one of the last plays the receiver catches the ball in the middle of the field which is not Hood's zone right?

Basically you showed him whiffing on two tackles, missing a knockdown and taking a bad angle on MJD's run. Not once did you show him beat deep, which is the problem Harper has and which leads to giving up big plays and touchdowns.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

An INT is an INT. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hood is a top-notch corner but he's certainly played better than Harper this year. Besides, missing a tackle every now and then isn't nearly as bad as getting beat deep on a consistent basis. Watching Harper try to cover good receivers is nauseating.

6. AH3

AH3 Rookie

Sawdust has it exactly right. If having Hood in means that our safeties have to make a couple more tackles, then that's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make to ensure that we don't get beat deep a couple times during the game. A couple INTs, no matter how they are made, would make things better too.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

He definitely benefits from Harper being so brutal that almost anything is seen an as upgrade.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You don't like Hood, now moving past that.
    Hood has 3 interceptions in 3 games in which he was in position to make. Harper doesn't do this, and is slooooww. Hood may not be as good of a tackler as Harper, but that's not because he's a weak defender, its more or less because Harper is always giving cushion to receives that are forced to make a play on him in his face, where even you could tackle someone. Hood is a good player. You point out that his 3 INT's came off deflections or what ever, but you don't point out the reasons he was cut "like construction paper", that's only shown on paper, same as his 3 INT's. I happen to know the guy is a player worth starting. I knew Vince was, and I know Hood is. Listen to me, I'm not an idiot fan just posting stuff for the hell of it. I'm doing you a favor by helping you see this. Open your eyes and believe in him, you'll feel better when he makes a play.

9. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

Harper didn't get abused by AJ, but AJ did get some plays in on him.

Overall, that is a pretty solid performance for Harper. Could have Hood done as well? Maybe.

Hood is definitely an upgrade over Cary Williams (who the Ravens just took from our PS), Mouton, and Mcourtny.

10. DaKid937

DaKid937 Camp Fodder

This video is absolutely pointless. The only thing you had was a couple missed tackles which almost EVERYBODY else on the defense missed tackles in that game too and the tackling has been horrible collectivly as a team all year. Nothing in the video shows him getting burned in pass coverage. I really don't understand what you're trying to get at with this by showing a couple missed tackles when I'm sure I could compile a 15 minute video of all the times Nick Harper has gotten burnt if I wanted to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar