The truth & why Fisher has to go

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TxTitansFan, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

And be stuck playing Rusty Smith and Chris Simms one half at a time because VY is hurt again. Great plan. But at least we didn't try to get a good QB because you didn't want to start rebuilding(which we started this past off-season, BTW)

2. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Brees was drafted by the Chargers in 1999 (I think...same year as Ricky Williams and Donovan McNabb). You are right...he was pretty ordinary early on. However, he MATURED and started working his backside off in the offseason, which resulted in him becoming a Pro Bowl QB in San Diego, before he was coached by Payton (keeping Phillip Rivers in a baseball cap for a couple of years), and then in New Orleans. Even during his "ordinary" period, I do not remember him EVER walking out on Marty Shottenheimer (who will never be remembered as an Offensive "enabler"), or threatening suicide, or punching out someone in a stripbar that "dissed" Purdue, etc...etc..

I agree that VY would produce more in a different offense, but lets get real here....until he grows up, he will be nothing more than a flashy player who breaks his fans hearts when it counts. It has nothing to do with ability, it has everything to do with maturity and leadership.

Also, CJ gained over 2,000 yards last year in this unimaginative offense...hardly evidence of not utilizing him in his strong areas. He has had a bit of a slip this year, but that is pretty easy to do when you are trying to repeat a 2,000 yard season. I credit his problems (relative to last year) more to a reduction in OL execution this year.

3. joeman546

joeman546 Rookie

Replacing a QB is different from the rest of the team.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Rebuidling is rebuilding. Replacing 5 starters on defense in one off-season is rebuilding, hate to break it to you.

Replacing the QB right now wouldn't be a bad thing. That way we have a defense that has grown together and can play well together along with a quarterback who can score points regardless of who the opposing defense is instead of having a defense keep opposing offenses to less than 17 points in the playoffs and lose like we did with VY against the Charger and Collins against the Ravens. Or we can keep VY and let our defense get better and keep losing playoff games 10-17.

5. iQon

iQon Starter

Just get rid of both. We're not going to get it done with Fish and if our current staff doesn't believe in Vince, what makes you think a new one will?

Let us be done with this childish BS and move on. We're seriously letting a pretty good team go to waste.

6. Titanite

Titanite Pulling for VY...Sue me.

That doesn't make any sense....our staff is the one that let go of Legarette Blount....I think the Tampa Bay staff has at least a little belief in his abilities....

As for Fisher, I do think he should go. (I know, he'll have another job before Bud finishes the thought of calling him up to fire him. No need to say it. :D_)

Why? Because the Tennessee Titans are sitting still. You don't sit still because you are afraid to trip once you take a step forward.

You don't settle for going 8-8 every year because you're afraid to go 7-9.

Let's take the chance that we might have a losing season so that we also have the chance that we make the playoffs and win a game.

Mediocrity begets nothing but mediocrity.

Don't be afraid to move forward.

Let Fisher go.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

It sucks knowing our chances of victory are just sightly better than 50%.

Good coaches have .600-.650 win percentages.
    Great coaches have .650-.750 win percentages.
    Average coaches have .557 win percentages.

8. dahobbs

dahobbs Camp Fodder

The defense sucks. Fisher has had two good defenses since 2004.

2004: 30th ranked in total defense, 27th scoring
    2005: 19th ranked in total defense, 29th scoring
    2006: 32nd ranked in total defense, 31st scoring
    2007: 5th ranked in total defense, 8th scoring
    2008: 7th ranked in total defense, 2nd scoring
    2009: 28th ranked in total defense, 28th scoring
    2010: 24th ranked in total defense, 8th scoring (though its been trending up, largely due to TE's)

1st Round draft picks since 2000

2000: Keith Bullock, LB
    2001: Andre Dyson, DB
    2002: Albert Haynesworth, DT
    2003: Andre Woolfolk, DB
    2004: Ben Troupe, TE
    2005: Pacman, DB
    2006: Vince Young, QB
    2007: Michael Griffin, DB
    2008: Chris Johnson, RB
    2009: Kenny Britt, WR
    2010: Derrick Morgan, DE

7 1st round picks over the last 11 years were used on defense, but since 2004 (when you'd think all that defensive talent might start adding up) the Titans have finished in the top half of the league defenses exactly twice. The other years they weren't even mediocre, they were just bad. I'm not sure defense is really what you want Fisher building a team around.

N.B. Vince's two turn around years, 2006 and 2009, happened despite having two of the worst defenses the titans have fielded since 2004. Good thing the Titans were winning despite Vince Young.

I find it hilarious that Vince is being touted as some kind of horrible person for wanting to play football by the "experts" (exactly what he was criticized for NOT wanting to do just last week). It has been suggested by the talking heads that Michael Vick, convicted felon, is the better role model. Ah I can see in a league where the QB heroes are 1) Vick, Felon, 2) Big Ben, Rapist, 3) Brett Favre, unfaithful pervert, that Vince Young of all people would be the bad guy. The same Vince Young that has taken upon himself to help raise two kids that aren't his.

Seriously, these are the talking heads, the experts, that people want to listen to? To the guys that have their priorities so out of whack that a fricking felon is the toast of the town? Are you kidding me? The NFL is full of immature divas, gangsters, maybe even a murder or two. Vince isn't one of them. An immature diva doesn't volunteer to help raise kids that aren't his own.

Really? What is your definition of truly pathetic? How about 5-11? How about losing by double digits 8 times? How about losing by 20+ points 3 times? 2004 ring a bell?

How about 4-12? Losing by double digits 6 times? Losing by 20+ points 4 times? 2005.

2006 and 2009 both seemed like they started like pretty pathetic teams. I don't know, maybe we just have different definitions of pathetic. I also think you're pretty generous with your definition of mediocre.

• High Five High Five x 4
  9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

that whole math thing is still a big mystery too you huh?

Fisher body of work is well above average, which in the NFL is .500
    NFL is a zero sum game where every win is equaled with a loss.
    In College what you are stating would be close too true, but even average D1 teams can pad the ol'win % with the FIUs of the world.

I'm not defending fish face overall but his win % is probably the main thing he has going for him

10. dahobbs

dahobbs Camp Fodder

Half the coaches in the league have a better winning percentage. Most of them haven't been doing it for 17 years with minimal results. Wade Phillips had a better winning percentage in Dallas and was fired.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar