The two big DTs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Ellis looks like the best DT in this class from what I've seen of him. I don't think he has Haynseworth type potential. I also think we'd have to give up too much to get about where he'll be picked.

I like Dorsey slightly less, but last I heard there were serious questions about his health. Even if the health deal is a non issue in the future, I wouldn't give up a lot for him either.

I only saw Balmer once, looked slow and not a good fit here. We seem to value penetrating type DT's, he didn't look like that.

The guys I like are 2nd and maybe 3rd rounders.

Laws did look like the type we'd like. He didn't seem to have a lot of strength, or it may be his size that seemed to limit him sometimes. But the hustle makes up for a lot, and I've read he's made big strides after this season to get his body in better shape.....should make him a better player than what I saw on the field. I'm fine with him in the second.

Moore and Bryant both look to have good size, quickness and speed. Both impressed me on the field and played strong and quick. Bryant's deal was kinda odd because of the 3-4 times I got to watch him, he sat out a lot of snaps. Made me wonder if his conditioning was bad.

Okam has not looked to me like he deserved to be in the discussion with the top guys. Now it looks like his stock is falling. Maybe he's worth a 4th+ pick if they think he just needs more motivation....and if the potential is there. Give me a worker like Laws anyday.

Even with following mostly SEC ball, I haven't watched Sims or Harrison closely. I guess Harrison may be out of the discussion anyway with his off field issues.

When and if we lose Al, then I look to replace him. I don't think we'll let him walk, but we'll see. But with the other holes on this team, I think some of these 2nd tier DT's would fit in well in our rotation.

2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I have not watched Balmer so I can only go by what scouts and talking head say. But I am against Bryant and Law both of those guys would be a mistake taken before round 4. Okam has much more potential but he hasn't shown much inclination to make that move. Okam is not as sold on the NFL as one might think he has the grades to attend medical school and his long term goal is to be a surgeon.

If we are going to take a DT in round 2 or 3 I would look at Sims or if we want to wait for later rounds I would love to take Derek Lokey, Okam's teammate at Texas. He is a clone of Kasey Hampton He can bench over 550 and is a short stalky guy who gets excellent push up the middle in pass rush and is an excellent run stuffer. The best part is he will be available in the 5th or 6th round.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've seen Balmer mentioned in a couple of mocks lately.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I saw a mock with us getting him.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

No to trading up.

Yes to consider a DT at 24..

Too much mediocrity or downright busts that high for some reason. Remember 2002 the year haynesworth and henderson went? well there were 2 DTs drafted ahead of them. Can anyone name them? One is an average player at best and the other a total bust.

The 2 top tackles from the 03 draft, robertson and kennedy were also disappointments. Kennedy was just traded from the rams for like a 6th rd pick. The 11th pick ty warren has been a great pick for the pats playing left DE in their system.

So in short the risk is too high and simply not practical to trade our top 3 picks when we have many other needs. If balmer is our top rated guy when we pick 24th then fine take him.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

ryan simms(chiefs) and wendell bryant(cardinals).

yeah, that's right, i'm sweet.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

:bighomer:

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I think it is a given with a Name like Austin_Bill that I bring a bit of Homerism to the table when it comes to Texas players but also keep in mind that I'm pretty sure that Texas has been huge at producing more DTs than any other school.

Kasey Hampton
    Shaun Rodgers
    Cory Redding
    Marcus Tubbs
    Rod Wright

That has only been since Mack Brown has been the coach.

I watch the SEC Big 12 and am forced to watch Notre Dame. I am familar with players from those schools so I can comment on them. I've seen Sims play, Bryant, Law, Okam, Lokey. I know what I'm talking about when I say that Bryant and Law are very much overrated, I feel the same way about Okam. Sims is very solid and worthy of a 2nd round pick. Beyond those guys I really like Lokey for the reasons I mentioned above. I watched him for 4 years and in that time he was the one that teams seemed to have the most trouble with. He is about 6'0 and strong as a ox, like I said he is a clone of Kasey Hampton another Longhorn I watched for 4 years.

If I were a true homer I would probably love Ced Benson and Marcus Griffin which I don't.

For this team I like two guys, Sweed because he is exactly what this team needs as a receiver; and Charles because he is exactly what this team needs as a runningback. This team also needs help on the Dline but I don't really prop Okam and I do Lokey only as a 6th round pick which isn't saying much. About the only other player I have even mentioned was Drew Kelson who put up better combine numbers than Mike Griffin did and he is a linebacker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar