The Vince Young Option...Lendale White and Brandon Jones

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CanadaTitan, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sledge

Sledge Guest

unfortunately, i don't think the option will work in the NFL. At first it might, but when teams adapt, it'll be completely shut down. Falcons tried it a few times with Vick and realized he was getting hammered. This is not the NCAA with 18-19 year olds. Guys like Roy Williams or Ed Reed will kill the option before it even starts.

i trust the titans and the coaches, but hopefully they have a backup plan

2. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Amen. The Cowboys flirted with it when Quincy Carter was their starter as well. NFL defenses are just too fast and too smart, and as great as the option is in college, it simply doesnt work on this level.

3. I though BJ would be out for most of this season?

4. Sledge

Sledge Guest

actually i think that was out for most of TC. I still don't think he'll be much of a factor this year. Especially if Bobby Wade keeps impressing

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Moon ran the option too.

I think he can run it. If a guy like Carr can get hit 70 times a season and survive, when he's not really dodging defenders, and getting smacked around, then Vince Young ought to be able to run the option once or twice a game and be able dodge most of the direct hits. I really don't see the problem with it. It may only gain a couple of yards, or it may be a big gainer, but if it's a TD, who cares. No defense can scheme for one play. It will almost always catch them off guard in my opinion. They won't even see it coming.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

except imagine the backlash if Vince breaks his leg or something doing it.

7. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Yah, that would suck but Young is a master at not giving up the big hit. I don't think I've ever seen anything worse happen to him than getting a direct tackle.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think the backup to the option will be simply -- the pass. Teams might just expect that because Vince is coming into the lineup, it's going to be an option play. Teams will stack the box, leaving guys with single coverage. Hopefully, they will set up "the option" but have prepared Vince to pass if it seems like the right call. I would love to see Vince used sporadically, and all these designed run plays turn into passing plays. That will silence some critics early. As defenses understand that Vince can carve them up with his arm, and respect it, that will open up the VY running plays every other defense will come to fear.

Is it way too early yet for this stuff?

9. maximus

maximus Starter

Makes sense. Vince comes in and goes with 1 RB, 1FB, 2WR, 1TE, starts to run the option, the LBs bite on it and he pops one to the TE or WR running a shorter route

10. that would be beautiful if it happened, and i think that it is very possible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar