The World Cup is coming to Nashville!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Hoffa, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

If the US wins the bid to host the World Cup in 2018 or 2022, Nashville will be a host city, it seems!

http://wpln.org/?p=13806

WOW, that's huge!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Really? The World Cup would want to play in America, why? This isn't a soccer friendly nation.

I'd understand basketball, hockey or baseball being held in Nashville, but soccer...... Maybe Tennessee has become a bigger soccer state than I realize. Or maybe it's just that Nashville is a big enough place to hold all the numbers drawn in by the World Cup.

3. Hoffa

The US hosted the World Cup in 1994, and it remains the highest attended World Cup in history.

The US is "soccer friendly". The '94 Cup holds the record for the highest attended single sport in US history.

The World Cup brings fans from all over the world. This is a huge coup for Nashville...

4. tinytitansfan

tinytitansfan Starter

That would be a wild time. Soccer fans from other countries are CRAAAAZZZYYY!!!!

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. JCBRAVE

Hoffa, this is not a soccer country. You know that. There may be a small place for it among the hundreds of millions around us, but no ones first choice is soccer. You'd find yourself at a soccer game after you waited to long to buy football tickets.

I believe your numbers. Anything and everything is at its best when in America (except cars). Chinese food tastes better in America, Tacos taste better in America. Anyone who's ever had real Chinese Chinese food knows what I'm talking about. Same for Mexican food. The authentic versions are too crazy to like.

6. Hoffa

Of course soccer is not the #1 sport here, but you said the US is "not soccer friendly". The US is certainly soccer friendly. We certainly aren't hostile towards soccer.

If you've raised any kids in the past 20 years, you can see how soccer has grown tremendously to where it was before that.

edit> The best Mexican food is made in Mexico, or in the US by Mexicans. American versions of Mexican food SUCKS.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

It's not a sure thing it's coming to Nashville. The bottom of the article said, "Nashville is one of 18 cities that will be included in the World Cup bid. If the US is chosen, not all of the sites in the application will end up hosting matches. So Nashville officials still have some selling left to do when FIFA World Cup representatives come for a site visit in the fall." I would imagine any city with an MLS team would be first on the list. However, Nashville has a high Mexican and Kurd population so I would imagine that would help some in securing a spot.

8. JCBRAVE

My daughter plays soccer, but that's because Dora plays soccer.

Okay so maybe we are 'soccer friendly' nothing wrong with it, it's just eh to most of us.

No, Tennessee Mexican food is disgusting. Up here it's good stuff. Tennessee is only good for BBQ, and burgers.

9. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

It's hard to mess up Mexican food but I went to this Ma and Pop type of BBQ out by Pigeon Forge a few years ago... Someone help me with the name of it? It was the best BBQ i've ever eaten in my life.

Also, this would be huge. America isn't a soccer nation for the same reasons that no one cares about the UFL. The best soccer players aren't here in America.

Remember when Chelsea played in Baltimore back in August of 2009? Every single seat was sold out and people were scalpin tickets for 3x's the value outside the stadium according to an article I was reading regarding it a while back.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

The 1994 World Cup was a MAJOR success! It's asinine to think that the US wouldn't be allowed to host another World Cup. Soccer is steadily gaining popularity with mainstream America and is one of the fastest growing youth sports in America.

If it comes to Nasvhille, count me there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar