This Defense might be good.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by cutter10, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutter10

cutter10 Rookie

Jus speculating, but with the touchups here and there, new young faces,new schemes,underdog tag, Titans could be lethal, ....i predict 5 sacks for Titans D.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'm with ya. I love the energy and change of culture that Coach Munchak has brought in. I expect us to get after the QB and do a solid job of stuffing the run. Not saying they're gonna be pushovers but...we should be able to handle them rather easily.

I'm expecting a big day for CJ, MH and Kenny.

3. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

To be honest, I'm pretty worried about the Ravens coming into Nashville next weekend. They have always struggled against teams that use a 4 man front and I don't expect it to change this year. I guess we'll see how each team looks this Sunday but next week being your first home game and crowd going crazy... not a good situation for the Ravens IMO.

4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Itll need to greatly improve from preseason to be good....looked like the old titans allowing passes over the middle. Gray better have a plan. I wanna see finny rush the qb a lot more.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Ravens play a 3-4 but yes, we struggle against teams like them and the Steelers but mostly because we don't have a very potent passing attack to put pressure on the defense and spread them out. Hopefully Britt is still functional and Cook is involved. That will get the Ss back and open up some more opportunities. Those defenses are always hard to play against but if you have a balanced attack you can be successful.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

DL: Slightly worried about our DE depth. Jones and Morgan seem to always be hurt. After that we have Williams Hayes and Dave Ball.. and then no one else. My guess is Sheppard and Klug will see action at DE. Personally, I think Klug should be a DE regardless. We have some playmakers in Morgan (if healthy) and Jones. With a TON of young, unproven talent like Klug, Clayton, Casey, Sheppard. Shaun Smith is a VERY underrated pickup, dudes a monster in the middle. He'll bring a nasty tenacity to the middle. Our DL is much bigger this year, can't wait to see how we control the line.

LB: I think our LB play will be improved from last year. Ruud was a solid pickup, very smart player and is good in coverage for a LB. Tulloch was good, but he was short and offered nothing on pass player. McRath was decent last year, but hasn't shown anything since he got off the juice, I still like McRath though. I'm excited to see Ayers play, I think he could be DROY. His blitzing ability in Grays scheme should be perfect. I expect Ruud to have another 100+ tackle season and Witherspoon should also add 80 or so. If an injury happens we have two capable backups in McRath and McCarthy. Excited for our LB play this year.

DB: Chris Hope worries me, if was HORRIBLE last year. Wasn't all his fault, I blame Cecil for some of that. Hope should be improved this year in the new scheme, Gray seems to play his SS up more in the box, which would be playing towards Hopes strength: tackling NOT coverage. Griffin should keep his pro-bowl form. Luckily if a safety goes down, we have a capable starting safety in Babineaux. As for corner, Finnegan struggled last year, hopefully our captain will step his game up. McCourty and Verner we be battling all year, both have been impressive and need to keep progressing. The biggest thing i'm curious about: Tommie Campbell. How often do you have a 6'2 205 CB that runs a 4.3? Not often. He could be the next DRC type of player for us, just needs to keep harness his talent.

Bottom line, I think we'll be a Top 15 D this year. Still need some playmakers, which could come with development of our current players.

7. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I am really excited to see how our LB play turns out this season. I agree with everything you said in regards to LB. I didn't see Ruud get ran over this preseason, and he seems to be a good tackler. Not as good as Tulloch, but his pass coverage more than makes up for that imo.

Ayers..well, the guy is gonna be a beast. I don't think we will have a shutdown D... but hopefully with Palmer and a vet QB, with Britt and cj2k we won't have to. I remember last year it honestly seemed like our D was on the field 70% of the time. The guys never got a break. I don't see that happening this year.

Maybe this is a little hopeful, but I also think Mariani has a big year at WR. The guy is just a play maker.

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Ran out of high fives.

I agree that I don't think we'll have a shut down defense, but I think we'll cause enough turnovers most game to really be effective on the defensive side of the ball. Blitzes and keeping the offense off-balance causes turnovers which we saw a lot of this pre-season.

And the best thing about our defense...we've got a ton of young talent.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Tell your peoples to get the word out to Ray Lewis that if he puts another bounty out on C.J., we're gonna have major beef.

10. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Hey, you know he only did that in self defense! :clown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar