This is only a rumor from John McClain but what if.......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans2871, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It is when the other team is running it between the tackles. He has little option but to deal with the center.

Agreed. But the best MLBs also do a good job of shedding blocks.

Based on what? Having to deal with more traffic to get to the ball carrier? Having opponents pound the ball straight at him? I don't see any reason to move a Pro Bowl OLB to the middle. McClain is off on this one.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Like the opponents are able to pound the ball at 228 pound Zack Thomas or 230 pound Vilma or 238 pound Tatupu (if you watched Tatupu play last week you saw how Bulluck could be effective)? Like I said Bulluck isn't perfect size for MLB but he would be a huge improvement to the defense.
    Besides, if you pay attention to how modern MLBs play the trend is to line up 10+ yards away from the LOS and attack the ball. Even Urlacker at 250+ pound rarely takes on OL head on. Urlacker lines up almost back as far as a Safety and runs to the ball. Also this assumption that Bulluck cannot "shed" blockers is pure fantasy. If that were so we would see teams running alot more to his side of the field. Watch Tatupu play in the SB and see how many blocks he avoids while still stopping the run.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat is right...

Anyone who watched the playoffs saw the distruptive effects of having fast active players in the middle of the field. Players like farrior, tatupu and polamalu. All three of seattle's ints were by middle guys. One for each safety and tatupu had one. I think we need a guy like that for the 4-3.

Bulluck is so fast it will be hard for centers and guards to get a good shot at him and i'm sure if we did that we would make some changes in our DT techniques to accomodate him and keep blockers off him. Haynesworth would fit perfectly into that scenario.

4. TitanJeff

I don't base my opinion on Bullucks weight, quickness or speed but his ability to shed blocks. When a body is on him, he doesn't appear nearly as effective.

5. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Oh BAH! Now we all KNOW that Keith is great!

6. TitanJeff

Yup. He is. But I don't think he would be nearly as effective in the middle or the Titans will move him there. Just one guy's opinion.

7. #1TitansFan

#1TitansFan Camp Fodder

I think we should draft somebody or pick up a free agent at MLB. The last thing we need to do to our defense is move Keith to a positon where he has not proven himself and possibly screw up the defense even more.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Its not like if they tried Bulluck out at MLB just to see how things went the world would come to an end. He can always move back to his old position without missing a beat. I suggested the move this year when our defense was having problems and we were out of any chance at the playoffs.
    I think McClain can be writing and talking a bunch of garbage just to get peoples attention but who knows, there might be something to this. Then again there might not be anything to it.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

like when they moved Kevin Carter off of the end ?

10. I have no doubt that Bulluck would be good no matter where he played at LB. But he's best suited to play the weakside. We're better off leaving him there and improving at MLB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar