Thoughts on Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Gear' started by TitanJeff, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

On windows 7 64-bit home premium and I love it. I have stumbleupon (toolbar is toggle-able), gmail checker (shows a little badge if you have a new email), IETab (for times when chrome doesn't support things yet, like the Sirius Satellite Radio Online Player), google dictionary, adblock for chrome, smoothscroll, and a couple others for screenshots and google docs.

There's also basically an ultra-beta program called Chromium which allows options from google labs open-source system, like tabs on the left side. Haven't used it much, though.

I was a diehard firefox guy until chrome stepped their extension game up. Now I can't remember not browsing on chrome.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I switched to Chrome exclusively for a while... it's by far the most lightweight browser out there. BUT it has a few bugs that finally made me give up and uninstall it. Back to Firefox for now.

My biggest problems with it were
    1) for some reason it kept losing sound - videos would play without audio... until I closed the browser and restarted it... I think it was a problem with Flash, but never had the same issues with Flash in FF or IE
    2) lame extensions compared with Firefox... and I've found that every feature I liked it Chrome has a FF extensions
    3) strangely lacking in config options... Firefox lets me configure almost everything about the browser, and Chrome doesn't give you much at all.
    4) poor rendering of some pages... the main web app I have to use for work doesn't display well at all in Chrome. That finally did it for me.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I thought ou had come over to the light side ????

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I was exclusive on FF on my work PC but out of the blue it started locking up after a few new page loads. Updates didn't help - neither did re-installing and dumping all the plug-in.
    Chrome has been for go-to for me for a coupla months.. No complaints yet.

On my Macs I still use Safari by default but I have noticed that Safari recognizes about half of all .mp3 content - which pizzes me off pretty regularly..

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

There's two computers here: A Mac Mini- which is designated for audio production in my man cave only but I netsurf with it anyway- and a Sony Vaio PC in the common area which is loaded with Ubuntu. Not sure why, but video is very choppy on it... like as in very early 'net video days.

6. Any chance it's the video card drivers in Ubuntu?

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Dunno. The NVideo drivers are all installed and up-to-date and have no problem rendering desktop effects and that sort of thing. However, I just watched a couple of clips imbedded in Yahoo articles and they ran fine. Good news, as I've had Ubuntu for quite a while now and the video has always sucked.

Adobe Macromedia Player and Flash won't install in Opera (Traci's fave browser) without a crowbar and wrenches (which I haven't learned to use yet) but works in other browsers.

While typing this post I opened another tab and checked out some more videos... things seem to be working well now in Chrome on both Hulu and YouTube. I've updated the Linux system twice in the past three days; maybe the patches were in there? Dunno. However I've recently taken an interest in learning the geeky part of working with Linux and Ubuntu, and I think I've found a good teacher :brow:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NixiePixel#g/c/C57C60F699A5C44D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar