Time for Childress pwnage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I routinely ignore your opinion on American Football, a game you have watched for the last 20-odd years, so you can probably guess how much weight I put into your opinion on a sport I presume you have never watched.

There is plenty of hitting in Rugby League (which is a different sport to Rugby in case you weren't aware), but one of the biggest differences is that Rugby League players make upwards of 40 tackles in a game and the game is played on a continuous basis (i.e. no real stoppages in play).

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The hitting in rugby/league is very weak compared to NFL hits though. Even the best of them. Understand though that if they had pads, they'd hit harder. You can't run a 4.4 sprint in to someone and crush them with no pads or else you'd be left with 2 players by time the game ended.
    Like in the vid above- with no pads, poor Santonio would be in the hospital right now.

But in rugby/league the hitter is also protecting himself from being hurt. So there's more arm tackles and arm checks rather than shoulders.

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Agree that a lot of Rugby Union (Rugby) tackles are arm tackles because of the nature of the game and the differences between Rugby and Rugby League.

Here's a clip of some Rugby League tackles. Plenty of shoulder contact to my eye.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eYCQXKgMnfU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eYCQXKgMnfU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Peter Johnstone (who makes the tackle at the 38 second mark) had the best tackling technique of anyone I've ever seen and actually did some consulting work as a tackling coach for a couple of NFL teams.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

I'm a Futbol guy myself.

I prefer the grace, speed and coordination over shear force. Rugby, a sport I truthfully have never given two flying flips about, looks to have a nice combination of all three.

I'd probably be a big fan had I grown up else where as Carpy has eluded to.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Most likely.

But that works for everywhere. I'd probably be a fan of soccer if I were born in Europe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar