Time for the Ultimate GM Challenge!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Okay Gents (& ladies), mock drafts are cool and all, but let’s take this offseason predicting up to the next level. It’s time for the Ultimate GM challenge! Fanspeak has a version of this you have to pay for, but I’m cheap so we’re just going to do this offseason predicting the old fashioned way. Guessing. Here’s how it works. We each give our predictions on the 5 facets of the Titans offseason: 1) Identifying Needs 2) Cuts 3) Re-signings 4) Free Agency 5) The Draft

At the end, we’ll list our starting rosters and see who ends up with the best squad. I’ll go first.

1. Needs: Obviously CB and S. ILB is equally important IMO after seeing our guys diced up by TE’s and RB’s coming out of the backfield all season. WR & TE are equal positions of need as Mariota needs more targets no matter where they line up. A dynamic Kick returner is huge. I think EDGE would be the 7th most important need at this point as Dodd & Wallace both showed promise as rotational guys, and we still have two of the best in Orakpo and Morgan. CB,S,ILB,WR,TE,KR,Edge

2. Cuts: Goodbye McCain, Douglas, Woodyard and Searcy. I keep McCourty at least into training camp.

3. Re-sign: Klug, Cassel, Spence, Stafford. Hit the bricks Blake!

4. FA: Here’s where it gets fun.

AJ Bouye – We have plenty of cap space, the Texans don’t. They also have a lot of other expensive talent on the defensive side and will need to lock up Clowney soon. We throw the bank at Bouye and rob our division rival of their best cover corner.

Cordarrelle Paterson – We get one of the best KR in the league and a dynamic new element in the passing game.

Logan Ryan – I know right now you’re saying “But how could we get TWO of the top CB’s in Free Agency?!”. Well we did it before, signing Orakpo and Morgan in the same week, so it is certainly possible. Also with so much depth at CB in the draft, I have a feeling many teams will be looking for a cheaper option at the position.

Barry Church – Hard hitting, tackle machine safety Church will be the complement to Byards ball hawking skills and fills out our completely revamped secondary.

5. The Draft:

Pick #5 – Trade back with Cleveland to 12 and pick up pick #33.

Pick #12 – select ILB Reuben Foster – The new centerpiece of our ILB corpse.

Pick #18 – select TE O.J Howard – Mariota now has two top tier beasts in Howard & Walker that can both block for the run at an extremely high level. Fits our scheme to a tee.

Pick #33 – Trade back with Car for Pick #40 and a Compensatory 3rd.

Pick #40 – select WR Zay Jones – The dynamic and reliable Jones pairs with Rishard Mathews outside and Patterson in the slot to bring some serious firepower to the offense.

Titans trade picks #83 and the CAR Compensatory 3rd to NE to move back into the late 2nd round.

Pick #64 – select CB Cordrea Tankersly – The future, and our current slot corner. A menace in the middle.

Pick Compensatory 3rd (From LA) – select best EDGE available.

New Roster: Offense

QB: Mariota, Cassel, Tanney

RB: Murray, Henry, Andrews

WR: Mathews, Zay Jones, Cordarrelle Patterson, Tajae Sharpe

TE: Delanie Walker, O.J. Howard, Supernaw

OL: Lewan, Kline, Jones, Spain, Conklin, Kelly

New Roster: Defense

DL: Casey, Woods, Austin Johnson, Jones, Klug

OLB: Orakpo, Morgan, Dodd, Wallace

ILB: Williamson, Reuben Foster, Spence

CB: AJ Bouye, Logan Ryan, Cordrea Tankersly, Mccourty, Simms, Reed

S: Byard, Barry Church, Stafford

With three new weapons on offense and FIVE new defensive starters, the Titans are quite possibly Super Bowl bound. Who thinks they can do better?

2. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I like the enthusiasm, but you lost me with all the trade back scenario's. Everyone wants to trade back and get more picks. It's not that easy to do that.

I think to make this work we need to mock the draft as-is without any trades for the sake of argument.

3. Dangermode

I traded back twice and up once. That is perfectly reasonable and fairly common.

Also trading back from 33 you have the whole night between rounds 1 & 2 to negotiate with teams.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Im gonna make mine a lot easier to read, so here it is.

Cuts: McCourty, Douglas
    Re-signings: Klug, Spence, Stafford, Bell, Schwenke, Supernaw, Andrews, Mariani
    FA's: CB
    Draft: WR, CB, BPA the rest of the way

• LOL LOL x 1
  5. Dangermode

Holy Lazy, Batman!

• LOL LOL x 2
  6. JCBRAVE

Blame it on the Mondays

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Cut Woodyard too

And I would not be too quick to re sign Mariani

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

I wouldn't be that quick to re-sign him either, but at some point you gotta fill the roster with able bodies

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Dangermode

Ah yes the Mondays. I know them Horatio. But tis Chinese New Year where I live. So no worky for this guy. :)

Stay strong my brothas. And as I said to that girl last week...It'll be over soon. ;)

10. JCBRAVE

Its Chinese New year for me too, (I play Tapped Out) so Im well versed on other cultures.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar