Time for Titans to Pay, Trade or Cut McNair

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

exactly

Bus Cook your're no Drew Rosenhouse

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]
    What's that Bus?
    12 Million and a BIRD SUIT?
    Yeah baby!!!
    I've been shown the $$$ :whoop:

3. thats from that movie, where tom cruise is the sports agent, oh ya Jerry McGuire i liked that movie

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

no kidding!!

5. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Gunny, I love your avatar . . . butters kicks ***. It would only be better it was butters as "boy with balls on chin."

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

But apparently it takes a rocket scientist to realise it's a fiscal impossibility for the Titans to pay McNair what he wants, without releasing other veterans...

Maybe we should cut Olson, Piller and Mawae and see how McNair would like to start behind an "all-rookie" O-line...

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

everybody loves butters.

8. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

That is exactly what I thought. Its obvious that Cook thought that the arbitraitors ruling was finally going to bring a resolution to this, and it turns out it hasnt. His frustration is starting to show.

One of his problems is that he's done a lot of work on Steve this year, and unless he signs with Baltimore, he's not going to see a single penny for it. Bus Cook has absolutely zero incentive to rework Steve's deal with Tennessee. He also has zero incentive to let Steve take a physical, because if he fails, maybe Baltimore starts questioning whether they want him.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'm starting to question whether I want him as a Titan.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've always wondered how that worked. I assume the agent gets paid when the player does. This would mean Bus would get his cut of McNair's $10 mil if he was to stay. If he goes to Baltimore, he gets the same cut of $12 mil.

One thing to remember, we don't know what McNair is scheduled to make in base in the Baltimore deal beyond '06. If the Titans were to match it, here's what would happen:

Old cap dollars: $2.69 mil
    New cap dollars: $2.2 mil
    Base for '06: $1 mil

Total for '06: $5.89 mil against the cap which frees up a whopping $17.56 mil this season.

The problem is down the road if they were to release McNair. If it was done in '07, they'd have $19.56 mil on the cap. It makes it almost certain that McNair would remain in '07 where he'd count another $6-$7 mil on the cap and still leave around $14 mil or so on the books in '08 which is where the team is now with his cap number.

I just don't see the Titans throwing that kind of money at McNair when he'll be the #2 going into '07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar