Time for Titans to Pay, Trade or Cut McNair

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Titan Jeff I am not so sure that the CAP works that way. Willing to admit I might be wrong here, but I thought no matter what the Titans were gonna have the 14m CAP hit from previous seasons against the CAP this year.

If I understand what you are saying then the CAP hit for 06 - the 14m - could be spread among any new years added to a new contract???

2. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Wrong. If they extend his deal, they get to spread that cap hit over however many years the extension is for.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

So the issue is the Titans do not want to delay the CAP hit by preading it out more?

too bad McNair, like EG, does not want to admit his diminishing value to the team.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right. The Titans free up a ton by extending McNair but some would say it is throwing good money after bad if they do this.

For the sake of argument, let's say Reese decides he wants McNair for '06 and '07. Here's how it would shake out:

Current cap number: $23.45 mil

If the Titans match the Ravens offer for '06: $5.89 mil

Assuming $1.5 mil base in '07: $6.39 mil

Entering '08, McNair's cap number would be $14.67 mil. Maybe they don't cut McNair until after June 1 which then spreads out that dead money into '09 at $7.34 for two years after McNair is released/retires.

No way it'll happen.

5. No, just remember that to be able to push back some of that cap hit, they'd have to agree to a new longterm deal with McNair. He isn't going to take a paycut and the Titans aren't going to still pay him $10M this year.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar