Time to clean house...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Vince Young reminds me alot of a QB that went to 5 SBs and won 2. The 4th year stats are almost identical.

[​IMG]

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Clap it up

3. World Peace

slow clap...

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

god how I wish

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Don't think so!

It sounds like a reasonable hypothesis with the QB position being the most important position, but it's frequently not accurate from what I've seen doing some easy checking. Here's a few examples...

In '02, McNair had a QB rating lower than Peyton's but we won the division.

In '03, McNair had a higher QB rating than Manning but the Colts finished ahead of us.

In '09, the Giants finished 3rd with the 2nd best rated QB while the Eagles finished 2nd with the 3rd best QB.

In '08...
    Romo was by far the highest rated QB but they finished 3rd. Conversely, the Giants with the tied for 2nd best QB finished 1st.

In '07...
    The Giants finished 2nd with the 4th rated QB.
    The Eagles finished 4th with the 2nd best QB.
    The Skins finished 4th with the 3rd rated QB.

In '05 the Giants finished 1 with Eli having a 75.9 QB rating.
    The Eagles finished 4th with McNabb having an 85 rating*(didn't start full season).

In '04, the Giants finished 2nd with a pretty bad combined QB rating!

I think you'll agree these aren't abnormalities since they've popped up in the first 2 places I looked. And I haven't even bothered to use the most obvious example of trent Dilpher (SB winning Ravens) and Jim McMahon ('85 Bears) since those had historically great defenses.

Sorry dude, your theory doesn't hold up. And it might be helpful when you say it holds up year after year, division by divison...that it actually does that.

What exactly is your definition of an above average player at QB?
    What is your definition of an elite QB?

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

^^^

in 2008 the nfc south was all kinds of screwed up, according to nate.

teams record: QB rating
    panthers 12-4 Delhomme 84
    falcons 11-5 Ryan 87
    bucs 9-7 Garcia 90
    saints 8-8 Brees 96

7. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

In a league with 32 teams and 53-man rosters, obviously there are going to be exceptions from time to time based on a QB getting used to a new team, or a young/old QB entering or exiting his prime. Or from time to time that elite defense that carries the QB (The Titans in 2007-2008)

In 2009, here are is some interesting evidence of how important a QB is to your team's ability to win:

NFC East:
    Romo, McNabb, Eli are all extremely good so its hard to rate them. However, the worst QB in the division did finish last at 4-12.

NFC North:
    Favre wins, Aaron Rodgers 2nd (with zero defense and running game). Going forward I would prefer Rodgers, and I believe once Favre is gone, so are the Vikings.

And, obviously the worst QB in Stafford finished last at 2-14.

NFC South:
    In direct correlation with team rank and QB rank.

NFC West:
    The only good QB won the division for the 2nd straight year. Before Warner (A Super Bowl MVP), when was the last division they won? And, when the Rams lost Warner, how have they done with the exact same receivers?

AFC East:
    Best QB wins it, worst QB in last. This is a case where Sanchez is extremely overrated, and even with an elite defense and run game only finished 9-7.

AFC North:
    Carson comes back and plays a full season and they win a division, just like they did the last full season he completed. I personally believe Flacco is overrated also, but once again, the worst QB finishes last in the division.

AFC South:
    Looks pretty in line to me. Also, if you remember our 13-3 season, Peyton was injured in the off-season and they started out rough. Not 100% sure, but I believe the last regular season game they tried to win and didn't was in Tennessee on Monday Night, 2008.

AFC West:
    Pretty in line to me. The only exception was Jamarcus Russell didn't finish last with an embarrassing 197 points for the entire season and 17 total TD's (almost half as many as KC).

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

What in the world are you talking about?!? :grrr: He started for us last year!!! We just signed him to an extension!!! :grrr: This does not make any sense at all. There aren't words I can use to describe how ridiculous this is.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Don't mind him. He's all hopped up on Sprite and isn't making a bit of sense..

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. World Peace

So VY's 4th year stats aren't almost identical to John Elway's 4th year stats?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar