Tips on pumping gas

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JCBRAVE, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline, but here in Connecticut we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon of Regular. My line of work puts me in touch with all different kinds of professions. I got this email from a friend working in petroleum for about 31 years now. He sent me this earlier today, and I thought we would all benefit.

Kinder Morgan Pipeline where my buddy is, delivers about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. They have 34-storage tanks with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Here is the good stuff
    Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Share this with your friends and family, and save your $$$!

• High Five High Five x 6
  2. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Ummmmm JC....That same story of a "friend" who's been in the business for 31 years has been around for a while. It was posted on Snopes almost verbatim in 2007.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

No problem with the tips, but you kinda made up the buddy thing. I'm actually in the business and this stuff circulates annually.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I can't ever tell the difference doing any of the above.

But what pisses me off more than anything is... why does it take 20 minutes to pump the last dollar of gas?

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I'm never up early in the morning.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Passepartout

Passepartout April Showers!

I usually make sure that my gas tank doesn't run on empty. Or that when it is 1/2 empty to make it full. That saves me money.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

gas stations at to busy at 6AM , losers getting coffee and crap take forever to check out.

7. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Meh, I doubt it really makes much difference in the long run. If you fill up at half a tank, you're just filling up more and I doubt your MPG is improved. If gas is as high as it is now, I milk my tank down to the last drop hoping the price will go down.. it is what it is. I usually get more out of the 2nd half of my tank in terms of mileage anyways.

8. RavensShallBurn

Best part about the Boro is the cheapest gas prices of anywhere I've seen. I still haven't filled up for more than $3.31 (which still blows of course).

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Until gas goes below $1.50 per gallon, I refuse to call it "cheap"...

As such, the prices in the Boro are "less ridiculously expensive" than seen in other areas.

10. RavensShallBurn

Agreed. But...

We still have it great in comparison to many other countries' gas prices. Europe pays more than twice what we pay per gallon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar