Titan coaching fires.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Clark, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Hell, maybe Munch did us a favor firing Lowry. Otherwise he probably would've been our next HC.

2. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Who did you want hired when they hired Munch. Remember the options?

McGinnis (didnt he already fail at that)
    Fewell (can we say moony rule)
    Gregg Williams (L..O...L) :p
    Dinger (rip)
    Munch

Those were our options. Fisher and the organization departed WAY too late in the game to pick up any real candidates

I may be in the minority here, but I think going into a full rebuilding mode when you are still trying to figure out if your 3rd year QB is "the guy" is a mistake. Find out next season, along with the coaches.

How many teams go into full rebuild mode 2 years after they started one? I really dont know so if anyone can answer that, maybe ill be more understanding why everyone wants the coaching staff gutted, again.

Agreed

THey fired the guy in charge of picking Locker this year. Locker was MR's choice. Not Munch.

I disagree with the confused part. I know your momma told you not to judge a book by its cover!! Yes, he looks like an idiot, but that doenst mean he doesnt know the game. Can he coach? Remains to be seen but he gets one more year to figure it out for good.

Locker is a huge part of this. We dont know if hes the guy, and there is no doubt he deserves and will receive next season to find out.

Everyone assumes we need to go into rebuilding mode, which will take a few years. (everyone needs to realize it will take time). Personally, Id rather wait one more year because I see enough talent to HOPE that we can build a solid foundation if we make a few of the correction decisions this offseason. If we start rebuilding NOW, then give it up for the next 2-3 years.

3. Danimal

Danimal Starter

From what I have seen around the league, when a team does well, the cooridinators are likely to leave for head coaching jobs and then the younger coaches are brought up thru the ranks to take over. The Titan's have done the opposite. After a long period of minumal sucess; we booted Fisher out, and promoted Munch up the ranks without any head coaching or even cooridinator experience. Now he is doing the same with his coaching staff.

What is alarming is that we are casting off our experience and promoting scrub coaches without any results at this level. We can expect incredible results in those areas, like our offense the last five games, or we will continue our slide.

I am not against promoting new ideas and youth but it should be guys who have learned how to win at this level. I don't see anyone on our coaching staff who can boast that.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I know this wasn't directed at me, but.....

ALL of those guys were more qualified than Munch. We hired a guy who's never been anything more than a position coach to run the whole show. It's all speculation of course, but I'd rather roll the dice with any of those guys over Munch. Can you even think of a guy who was more underqualified than Munch and got an NFL HC job? If so, how far back did you have to go to come up with one?

Also, if you ask me, the fact that our options were limited at the time is ALL THE MORE REASON to be willing to move on from him sooner rather than later. We clearly "settled" when we hired him. Is that the kind of guy you give 3 years just because?

Oh well, the truth about Munch will become crystal clear over the course of the next year and there will be no more defending him.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Munchak can have 5 more years to figure it out if he needs it. I'm done buying season tickets so I can be much more patient. It's been 50 years without a Super Bowl win, what's another 5 or 10?

Why should we judge him after 3 years? I mean if he does 8-8 next year then that's just 1 game under 500. Way too early to tell then.

And make no mistake- Locker was Munchak's guy. He said it numerous times in the media. There were OL options in the draft and FA. Who do you think MR consulted when deciding to extend Amano and to pass on DeCastro, Konz and not to offer what it took to land Myers or Wells?

Now to answer your question regarding Munchak's hiring. Yes- it's a bit unfair to lay blame on Munchak for his own hiring. That was Bud and/or MR. Believe- Fisher's ship had long set sail at the end of the 2010 season. I am in the camp that believes the "delayed" firing of Fisher was part of a scheme to limit options and pass it off to Munchak.

And honestly, I would of preferred Perry Fewell as HC over Munchak. At least his experience included something more than a position coach.

6. Alzarius

no no, Im saying we dont know if the LB's improved because of Bush, or in spite of him. Im saying none of us have that knowledge, only the titans organization does

What I mean is that coaches have to have talent to succeed, and coaches like BB have proven that.

As far as accountability, I was one of the few this entire season that put the blame on coaching, and players equally."its the line, its CJ", no, it was both and people finally came around to it. not that im trying to say "look at me, im right". What im saying is that we had a lack of talent this season, and that our coaches also didnt get as much out of the players as they should.

Last season was on both the talent level, and the inability of Gray and Palmer to get what they should have gotten.

Im not giving Munch a pass, by any means. Im just giving him a chance, considering the circumstances. Im not always the best of getting my point across, hopefully that clears it up

I plan on making a longer, stat filled post about this as soon as I can but ill try to very basic version.

The defense improved the 2nd half of the season, no one is arguing that. We played lesser teams the 2nd have of the season, no one can argue with that. So to me, it comes down to Gray can be competitive against teams with equal or lesser talent, but not successful against teams with much more talent. To me, thats all coaches, across the board. So my question for next year, even if i want rid of Gray and we keep them, is can his system work if the players are talented enough to execute it.

Hes proven it can, against teams with less or equal talent but the talent cant keep up with playoff caliber teams.

Even if you dont agree, do you see what where I am coming from?

2 more years? No. To me, everything aside, next year decides Munch's fate. If he doesnt get it done regardless of the circumstances whether it be talent, schedule, or anything else... then we look elsewhere. We will have an idea about Locker next season and if he does get injured, it wont be an excuse next year.. itll be a reason to get a new QB.

P.S. I definitely would be more upset if i invested 10k a year into the team.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yes- especially when the majority of the guys teaching them have never won it all.

8. Alzarius

Going from position coach, to head coach, is a BAD idea 99 out of 100 times. I do not disagree with you. However no one on that list would make me feel any better and I would not have been happier if we have given the position to any of them.

I dont give him another year "just because". I give him another year because

1. Were not drafting a QB at #10. Generally, a complete rebuilding mode comes with a new QB as well
    2. I see talent on this team, talent that has come over the past 2 years draft. I feel like giving it another year is a better option that blowing it up and hoping it goes better. Theres no guarantee that we will do any better with anyone

I agree 100%. Where we differ, is giving it another year vs a complete rebuilding for the 2nd time in 3 years.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Fair enough. But let me ask you a few things out of pure curiosity.

What IYO would be "enough" next year to warrant giving Munchak a 4th year?

And what's really the big difference between a 2nd rebuild in 3 years as opposed to 4 years?

And what has Munchak done to inspire confidence in you that he is actually capable of turning things around? Does it all go back to that 9-7 first year?

10. Alzarius

No, next year is it for me. We need to have a MUCH improved team, or we move on and start over again.

Locker was a MR pick. Not Munch. What is said to the media and what happens are two different things. I tried to find the link to an article where it was stated that Bud told MR to pick his next QB.

Then again, it may have been a blog. I cant state with 100 percent certainty until I find that again but I am left with the impression that it is the case and I rarely have strong beliefs about anything unless I have researched it in detail.

Position coach to head coach is bad, I agree with that and few people would make that decisions

Crazy old Bud. Every time he points his finger at someone, he doenst realize that 3 more fingers are pointing back at him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar