Titan LB's, where's the wood ?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by danny, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny

danny Guest

Kamikaz brought this up in another thread and I've been thinking more about this since Bulluck came out and made his statements about the Titans drafting for character.

Bulluck is a great athlete and good for a sound bite so the majority of the public and media like him. He's not a phyical presence though. Yes, he makes a lot of tackles but he's not knocking guys out (the Maddox hit was a fluke injury).

Sirmon is a smart, slow linebacker. Granted, he's coming off a major knee injury but he's not what the Titans need on the strongside. He isn't laying any wood either.

Kassell is a feel good story (undrafted free agent makes starter) that's supposed to be an all out physical player in practice. I don't see it in games though.

What the Titans need is a Joe Bowden type back again. He laid at least one guy out every game. Remembering back to Houston, those of you that saw it; the hit he put on Bettis and knocked him backwards into a reverse summersault and then stood over the top of him, took off his helmet and pounded his chest yelling at Bettis to look up at his face and remember who just hit him. He scared the hell out of Bettis.

Fisher coached teams have ALWAYS been known to be physical. Win or lose, if you played against them, you left with a bloody nose. This past year's team was disgraceful in that regard. Until the Titans go out and get some ARSE KICKERS, we'll see more of the same embarrassing crap on the field. Bulluck isn't the leader on defense that Eddie Robinson or Blaine Bishop was. He's simply not a physical presence that can demonstrate how to be an intimidator on the field.

If the Titans don't fix that problem, '07's draft will be another top 10 pick again and Reese and Fisher will be on the hot seat for sure...

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Well said.

3. CriticalTheory

CriticalTheory WestSide 718 ShadowMafia!

OMG I've said the same damn thing about Bulluck I said that he's doesn't have the attitude. Nor is he physical enough I've said it in countless post but everybody else wanted to baby sit him. Talking about I was coming down too hard on him.

Nobody is scared of Bulluck or any of our LB's.

One reason why Bulluck doesn't go to a ProBowl is because he is not physical enough. A physical LB will 9x out 10 go to a Probowl before a finesse LB like Bulluck will.

Good example is Merriman going over Bulluck Merriman is a Physical presence.

Thats why need a A.J Hawk or who ever else is out there that is Physical at LB.

4. danny

danny Guest

CT, no way Reese takes Hawk at #3. I agree he'd be a major facelift and attitude adjustment for the defense but #3 for a linebacker would almost be taboo for Reese.

5. THE53

THE53 Guest

AJ Hawk - 2 sacks of Brady Quinn, his girlfriend's brother.

I think the wood is all built up inside of him...:grrr:

6. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

KB is a finess linebacker who chases plays downfield. You rarely see him sticking it up in the hole and blowing the play up. Thatsw why we need a physical presence in the middle who ccan run the field ala a Urlacher.

7. MacNine

MacNine Starter

Agree. KB body type always reminds me of an over size safety instead of LB.

Fisher's team got that reputation as a knock you in the mouth team based on the play of Bowden, Bishop and the pre 2000 Titans/Oilers. Since Bishop retired, I cannot recall one defensive player that brings the wood on every play.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Haynesworth would be closest, but not really.

Maybe next year huh?

9. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Well Said

10. jdee

jdee Guest

I agree, we need some dominant players in the middle of the defense. If Hawk's the guy, let's get him. But I'd rather trade down and get a solid linebacker and maybe some help in other areas.

JDee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar