Titan LB's, where's the wood ?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by danny, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

If your team is not in the playoffs, and you are in a small market like Nashville, you will not get noticed by the rest of the league and make the ProBowl.

The ProBowl is nothing. Don't pretend only the best players in the leaque get to go...

2. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

If Keith Bulluck "laid the wood" to an offensive player, knocked him on his back, stood over him, took off his helmet and yelled, he would:

1) get an unsportmanlike penalty and get penalized 15 yards 2) risk getting tossed out of the game and 3) probably get fined by the league for removing his helmet.

That type of behavior is no longer accepted by the league. Keith did not go to the Pro Bowl because the team had a bad year. He is a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker, period.

3. danny

danny Guest

When was the last time you saw Bulluck hit a guy and put the fear of God in him ?

I'm not saying Bulluck's not a pro bowl talent. What I'm saying is he, or any other of the Titan linebackers at this point, doesn't lay wood. They don't tackle with attitude. They are drag down type tacklers. To regain that physical nature that the Oilers/Titans have been known for under Fisher, they need to get some headhunters out there on defense. There aren't any now, certainly not Bulluck...

4. danny

danny Guest

BTW, in a second response to your post:

1. It would send a message

2. The penalty yards would be worth the attitude and momentum shift in the game.

3.If he would be fined, it would be money well spent. Rodney Harrison is the biggest fined player in the league. Despite being on IR, opponents don't like getting knocked out of bounds on his sideline for fear he may hit them even though he's on crutches. Not to mention the tone it sets for younger players to follow his lead.

4. This is football, the idea is to not only out think your opponent but to get in his head by just about any means. Intimidation is an effective way. That's what the team had been known for.

It used to be, the Steelers we're intimidated by the Titans, now the Titans are intimidated by their own cheerleaders. Granted, I'm exagerating my point but once you start going to the bathroom standing up you'll understand that.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Bulluck is a perfect weak side OLB in a 4-3. Comparing him to Merriman like CriticalTheory is trying to makes no sense. Merriman is a DE in a 4-3 (Merriman is 274 pounds and had 10 sacks, he doesn't even play the same positon as Bulluck) and like LT was with the Giants is primarily a pass rusher. Yes Bulluck is an "over size safety" as MacNine stated because that is more what a weak side OLB in the 4-3 is. The problem is in the 4-3 you do need good LB play from the other two LBs which we never had. Two reasons Bulluck didn't make the pro-bowl were our small market and our poor record. Another reason is because of alot of teams using the 3-4 there where guys like Merriman, who is great at that postion in the 3-4 but would not be as good at that postion in the 4-3 who were recognized more because of their sacks.
    Bulluck is hardly the problem and he hits hard enough IMO.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Keith smacked the hell out of Henry in the preseason last year. That's about all I feel like adding to this thread :winker:

7. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

Bulluck plays " Press Cover " more than he rushes the QB... I spoke with him on this very topic. The frustarting thing about it is he plays the weakside. The problem was our young, inexperience secondary and it was considered a protection from getting completely torched all day long. With the play of Jones/Hill this year... you saw Bulluck rush, be more aggressive at the line. Hopefully it continues and we can get back to the pure 46 defense. Kassell in my opinion... we need to keep. I like his mean streak... that being said, I don't see him on the roster next year. Sirmon who I became a fan of... needs to regain his playing style or be replaced.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, I've been thinking alot about this actually and I think our biggest problem with the linebackers was Peter Sirmon not being at a 100% from his ACL. And if your sam linebacker isn't at a 100% he's going to get run over, and if your sam linebacker is run over, your mike and will are both *expletive*.

Considering how little I noticed Sirmon during the games, I'm thinking that's pretty much what happened.

So in my opinion, we either hope Sirmon comes back from his injury at a 110% or we get a new sam backer. I feel Kassell is fine, as I've stated before he's a bit in the Zach Thomas mold (though of course not as good), not the ideal linebacker but you can't argue with his ability to knock people around, which is what you'd want in the middle. He's not required to be a great cover linebacker. And Bulluck is of course set at the will spot.

Oh and having a strong safety that excels in run support would help as well.

9. titan west

titan west Guest

other side

the reason he never gets a chance to lay wood is because the other teams are always going away from his side, don't you ever notice that.

10. CriticalTheory

CriticalTheory WestSide 718 ShadowMafia!

[​IMG]Even Jeff Fisher knows that is

Straight BS that has nothing to do with not laying wood.

If that was the case then how come Ray Lewis was laying people down all over the field???

With that logic Jamie Sharper and Peter Boulware should have been the ones on sportscenter or the ones with all the big hits.

I've seen Arrington, Brooks, Peterson, Williams, Seau (prime) all lay wood on dudes when the play wasn't ran to their side. They flew down the line and layed them down or they ran across the field and layed them fools down.

Name one great LB who wasn't laying fools down sideline to sideline?

You must not have played football or at least at the LB position to make a comment like that.

What were

Butkus
    Singletary
    Taylor
    Seau
    Lanier
    Bell
    Nitschke
    Thomas
    Lewis
    Huff
    etc

all doing you think they just made big hits when the play was directed at them???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar