Titan players prefer the 3-4

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Coaching change could impact Titans' defensive scheme

2. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

If we switch out of the 3-4 we are doomed defensively for a while, we picked guys specifically so they would fit in that system. It would be silly to switch out of it so soon, even if Lebeau leaves.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  3. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

of course they prefer 3-4, most were brought in to implement the 3-4 scheme.

Personally I like 4-3 better. But all I care about is results!

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

and Morgan and Casey?

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Smart DCs have a variety of defensive looks, anyway.

If they have a coach who they believe will be a good long-term coach.. run whatever he wants to run. You can't pigeonhole the guy just because our last failed coach wanted 3-4 defense. If Orakpo only wants to stand up, let him stand up in the 4-3 as a DE.. There are no rules.

I could see this roster working just as well in the 4-3.

Morgan-Casey-Bum DT-Orakpo
    Bum LB BumLB Williamson
    Bum CB Bum FS BumSS Bum CB

I think our big issue isn't scheme problems, it's personnel problems.

None of our LBs were super effective at ILB.. They honestly seem better fit for 4-3 OLB anyways. Woodyard, ZB, Williamson (am I missing someone?) all seem like the build and type for OLB.

We could use an upgrade at nearly every position. In either scheme, we need improved DBs, and a big strong MLB.

IMO, a large part of the defense besides Morgan, Casey, BO, and possibly Williamson, need to be replaced anyway. Whichever scheme, they need to be replaced.

4-3 WOULD hide the lack of good, big DL that we have. Woods, Klug, Jones, and Hill really aren't that good. In this scheme, we'd just have one of those spots to fill, instead of 2.. but it would make a need for one more decent LB.

If there is any time in this Franchise's history to change things up.. now is the time. A lot of the roster will probably (should) be turned over.

#5 nickmsmith, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Blackson and Jones are the only guys I would care to lose.

They seemed to play fairly well until later on in the season.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

If they hired a coach who prefers a 4-3, do you force him to hire a 3-4 DC? I don't think so.

Nor do you make a DC who specializes in 4-3 do something he isn't cut out to do. Casey and Morgan would be equally or maybe even more effective in a 4-3. Orakpo is the question mark there.

But don't read this as if I'm rooting for the 4-3. I don't care, personally. Whatever works.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Ideally that new HC would be smart enough to see this defense has just started to adjust to the 3-4 and we should stick with it.

This is the New York Jets defense all over again. Herm Edwards comes in after Bill Parcels and Al Groh ran a 3-4 for four years and turns them into a 4-3 cover-2 defense. They finally get the guys to be fully entrenched in the defense and then Eric Mangini comes in after five years of Herm Edwards and they go back to the 3-4.

Mike Tomlin was raised in the cover-2 defense. He coached under Tony Dungy in Tampa and ran it in Minnesota when he was the DC. He got to Pittsburgh and knew they had the horses for the 3-4 and a DC who invented the zone blitz. He didn't **** with it because he wasn't an idiot.

We won't be so lucky.

#8 Fry, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    • High Five High Five x 2
  9. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Makes no sense to revert to the 4-3 after giving decently large contracts to Orakpo and Morgan. Morgan would be fine reverting back but I really don't think Orakpo is a 4-3 DE at all.

I probably prefer the 4-3 myself but it isn't a large concern.

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

We definitely need to stay in the 3-4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar