Titans’ offense didn’t get most out of talent

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

I think one of Dowell Loggains’ first challenges in replacing Chris Palmer as offensive coordinator is to get this Titans’ offense to be as good as the sum of its parts.

That, to me, is the one area in which Palmer’s offense came up short.

When you look at an offensive unit that includes one of the top running backs in the game (Chris Johnson); two first-round draft picks at wide receiver (Kenny Britt, Kendall Wright); another wide receiver coming off a 1,000-yard season (Nate Washington); and a tight end (Jared Cook) that’s flashed big-play potential, there’s a nagging sense the Titans should be ranked better than 24th overall in the league in offense after 11 games.

Did Palmer have limitations he had to deal with? Absolutely.

First and foremost, quarterback Jake Locker is in his first season as a starter, and his progress has been slowed that much more by the shoulder injuries he suffered earlier in the year. (Still, he was coming along well, with seven touchdowns, four interceptions and a respectable 84.5 quarterback rating.)

Second, Britt clearly hasn’t recovered fully from the ACL injury that sidelined him last season. He was averaging 17.5 yards per catch before this season, but is averaging just 11.2 yards a pop this year.

So it’s entirely possible that, given more time, Palmer could have made this offense a good bit better.

After all, look at some of the things Palmer did last year, despite the fact he was brand new to the team and had no offseason because of the lockout. The Titans in 2011 posted the fourth-highest passing total in team history, with Washington, Cook, Damian Williams, Lavelle Hawkins and Marc Mariani all recording career highs. Matt Hasselbeck recorded the third-most productive year of his career.

Still, there were too many times this season that the offense sputtered, times that it failed to string together first downs, engineer drives and maintain possession on a consistent basis. There were plenty of times as well – such as Sunday’s loss to Jacksonville — that the offense was forced to rely on the leg of Rob Bironas instead of scoring touchdowns.

Maybe even more importantly, there seemed to be a disconnect – perhaps even a generation-gap problem – between Palmer and some of his key offensive skill players.

Titans coach Mike Munchak may have touched on that inadvertently Monday, when he was asked if the team was throwing often enough to Washington.

“All those guys are frustrated,” Munchak said. “They want the ball, believe me, and they should. Every one of our receivers (does), and C.J. wants it as many times as he can. That’s what we need to have.”

It’s hard to imagine that Loggains can execute any kind of massive overhaul when coming in with just five games left in the season. He won’t have the time or the opportunity to make those kinds of changes.

But if Loggains’ new gameplans and his strong relationship with Locker help Locker progress that much faster, then this Titans’ offense will take a step forward. And if an improved Locker becomes more adept at utilizing all his playmakers, that’s when we’ll see the sum of this offense become as good as all of its individual parts.

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Come on Loggains! Help us out.

3. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

he will make us not look horrid, and will be our OC next season to "give him a full year to see what he can do"

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Me llamo es Pedro.

5. JCBRAVE

Speak American boy! This is America!

You got your languages all mixed up.

6. xpmar9x

Je dis ce que je veux

7. JCBRAVE

No, you say what I let you say.

No more french for you, and no more Mexican for you.

أيها الوغد

8. xpmar9x

Haha I have no idea what that is. I'm fluent in espanol, partially in french, and trying to learn Japanese (but it's stupid hard).

9. JCBRAVE

That's Arabic

I'm a part-time terrorist on Sundays after Titan losses.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. xpmar9x

Aren't we all? Why do you think Palmer really got fired? Because he's bad.. no. Because Munchs' family was kidnapped by JCBRAVE, xpmar9x, Gunny, and Scarecrow.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar