Titans + 11 = Titans -9 ?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titanbuoy, Mar 29, 2006.

?
  1. If Matt Leinart is picked McNair is gone (regardless of his contact status)

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. If Matt Leinart is picked McNair stays if he restructures his current deal

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. McNair stays regardless of pick

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  4. McNair is gone regardless of pick

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I as well have made posts to this effect. I happen to agree with Ewker on this particular topic even though I have a liking for McNair myself where as my friend Ewker does not care for him much. I like the idea of more FA money and I am comfortable with the risk associated with w/l record suffering if there is the right supporting cast around Matt Leinart.
    However, I view Matt Leinart as an injury risk more so than Vince Young regardless of his style of play but am convinced that he has a more refined set of tools than Jay Cutler even though there is a good possibility that Jay Cutler will find more success in the NFL over a five year period than Matt Leinart. All of that being said there is absolutely zero chance that Steve McNair is released because of an issue involving the draft pick. There is a remote possibilty that there could be an Eddie George type situation, but c'mon, how likely is that? Let me sum up this post by saying that if Vince Young is drafted...(which is what will happen no matter how many phone calls Jon Small puts into Floyd Reese...:super::ha::winker:) McNair will be the perfect mentor, and that is what a growing percentage of Titan fans and gotitans.com posters are coming to realize....
    but just to clarify...just because Ewker and I have the same answer to the "if I was GM" type question here in this thread...that is what I'd do...meaning that if I drafted Leinart I'd deal McNair or other wise keep him for Young's mentor... but Floyd knows better than to think like me or Ewker.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

honestly, I like the idea of taking Brick and then snagging Omar

then again I like the idea of taking Vince then snagging Max Jean Giles

I do not think that we absolutely HAVE to take a LB with the 2nd pick

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:ha:

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

sometimes I wish Floyd would think more like some of us

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

How anyone could possibly think that Cutler is ready to start his first year and Young isn't is beyond me (and reason).

Assuming that Leinart would be ready to step in at day 1 is making a lot of assumptions. You are assuming he doesn't hold out. You are assuming he can adapt to the speed of the NFL (something that many great qb's have not been able to do their first season). You are assuming that he won't be a bust.

Why assume ? Keep McNair and let him play when he's ready.

6. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

Well put....I hope Mcnair stays for 2 or 3 more seasons. He's the reason this team has had so much success over the years. The more talent we add to our team the better he will be.

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

think of it like this ......

keeping McNair would cost us $24m

releasing / trading him would cost us $10

simple math

Leinart is no more ready to command an NFL offense than Cutler is
    remember that Matt had enormous talent surrounding him

Jay had next to nobody surrounding him and played in the SEC

imo,....... it's a draw

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

That sounds good in theory. Now tell me what we should do with that extra cap room that would be a better option than having McNair under center. All of the good FA's that would have been solid upgrades are gone.

As far as who is more ready to command an NFL offense, I can't tell you. But I can tell you that the players that played against the highest level of competition would have a better chance. Factor in that Leinart would only have to make small adjustments to his USC playbook and you have the reason that most feel that Leinart would be able to contribute more quickly than the other two. It certainly seems that he has less hurdles to jump, but it's far from a foregone conclusion at this point.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

That's been what I've been wanting to know for quite some time.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

a veteran MLB, a veteran CB is just a start

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar