Post-Game Thread Titans 28, Browns 26

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

He's relentless that's how lol

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Well, it wasn't "get away from the cops fast"
    :cj:

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Andrews barely get away from Vince wilfork fast

• LOL LOL x 3
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

is he a hobo???

Nashvegas does not have commuter rail service except to scenic Lebanon 20ish miles to the east...

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bonky

Special teams play kept him on the roster, no doubt.

6. Bonky

Lol! Think outside of the box, it worked on "Dutch" and "Planes, Trains and Automobiles"

7. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

8. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

From the Browns board...see, they have smart fans and dumb fans...just like we do....lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Poyer out
    with lacerated kidney. He's out for the year...surely.

I hope andrews gets suspended. Fines don't stop this violence crap, it's

a violent game, but there has to be limits to what players can do...

that wasn't a block, it was unnecessary.
    ================================================
    By today's rules the block was illegal, but...

It was not "helmet to helmet", it was left shoulder to sternum. The endzone angle reply clearly showed this. At most the blocker's helmet glances the underside of Poyer's facemask. It was a classic, Madden "decleater"... a "football play".... or at least it used to be.

As for "unnecessary"... see first picture, "Setup"

- Poyer had the angle on the returner;

- Alexander was running (not full out) just downfield of Poyer giving the Titan no side angle on Poyer;

- Alexander was knocked down by a shoulder to shoulder block by the other Titan who had that angle.

Second pic, "Impact", is the money shot. You can see Poyer's lowest facebar above the Titan's blurred helmet.

[​IMG] Set Up.jpg 161.29KB 0 downloads [​IMG] Impact.jpg 159.89KB 0 downloads

I understand that the rule was put in to reduce injuries. But I thought primarily, as you intimated, to eliminate those blocks that were away from the play that were clearly unnecessary. Blocks like some of those our "old friend", Heinz Ward, was known for as well as a few DLs who laid out QBs after INTs. But in this case?

I really want the league to explain what other option(s) they saw for the blocker. I see no other angle available and any reduced speed fails to get the blocker in position.

If this block was illegal, then of all the pussification rules in today's NFL this one now officially irks me the most. Punt return blockers live for this set up. Coverage players were always taught to watch out for the "picket fence". That was football.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I agree they could have been thrown a bit better. Mularkey claimed that the WRs slowed down on both deep balls and should have been able to run under them if they hadn't. (I haven't watched the full plays in detail to know how true that is)

But, I also see WRs all across the NFL make catches like those every single week. Usually a couple against the Titans. I've said it before, these WRs just weren't laying it on the line or out fighting defenders for balls. It was nice to see 2 in the same game... Now it needs to continue. If the ball is anywhere close, even if they have to dive, and NFL reciever should be going all in.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I thought Wright slowed when I first watched the play then adjusted to make the lunging grab. It seemed like he slowed down to judge the ball's flight pattern just prior to the great catch. I side with Mularkey on this one - but please don't tell anyone.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar