Titans' 35 first-half points a Turkey Day record

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky DETROIT - There is not much suspense here at Ford Field, where the Titans are up on the Lions at 35-10 at the half.

The Elias Sport Bureau reports that 35 first-half points by the Titans are the most ever by a team playing on Thanksgiving. The previous high: 27, in 2004 (INDY vs. Detroit) and 1990 (DETROIT vs. Denver).

I suspect someone in your house is asleep on your couch, so I am writing this very quietly, please read it in a whisper.

The question now is how much might we see third-string running back Quinton Ganther carry the ball before this is over? Smash (LenDale White) and Dash (Chris Johnson) have done major damage. Each has two touchdowns.

Running against this defense certainly has the Titans feeling good about themselves, but how much are they really fixing things when they're facing such feeble defense?

With the Titans up 25, I yield the floor to Vince Masi of ESPN research, who provides some excellent notes on this game:

--Johnson's 58-yard touchdown run was the Titans' fifth run of 50+ yards this season (three by Johnson, two by White). No other team has more than two such runs this year. It was their third TD run of 50+ yards this season (two by Johnson, one by White), also most in the NFL this year.

--The Titans 21 points in the 1st were their most in a quarter since scoring 24 points in the 4th quarter in Week 12 of the 2006 season in a 24-21 win over the Giants.

--The Titans 121 rush yards in the first quarter was four more than the team rushed for over the previous six quarters combined (72 in the 2nd half at the Jaguars, 45 total against the Jets)

--The Lions have now been outscored 91-41 in the first quarter this season.

--Detroit's Jason Hanson kicked a 53-yard field goal against the Tennessee Titans and tied Morten Anderson's NFL record for the most kicks from 50-plus yards with 40.

-- Johnson had 119 yards in the first half. That is one more yard than his total from the previous three games combined (118). He is over 100 yards for the third time this season.

--Since the Lions took a 17-0 lead after the first quarter in Week 12 vs the Buccaneers, they have been outscored 73-13 in the last five quarters.

More...

2. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

cool we beat Indy in a scoring record

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I've always wondered what it would be like if a pro team played a college team. I know it will never happen but that's about as close as your going to get to seeing it.

5. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_All-Star_Game
    Well ok, so it isn't a college team, but I think that's as close as you'll get there.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

lol a Punter got the MVP in the 1973 game.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I can't imagine if that game were played today that the pro team would even give up any points much less lose.

8. TitanTom0987

TitanTom0987 This Post Is Rated RKO

I never thought I'd hear or see that sentence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar