Titans 3rd Round Selection (#97): LB Zaviar Gooden

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

See, I think it could take a lot of directions...

Gooden plays nickel LB and ST and adds depth.
    Ayers plays more DE. Gooden sees more time as 4-3 OLB.
    Brown moves to MLB. Gooden starts at OLB.
    Team goes 3-4. Gooden starts at WILB next to Brown.
    Gooden is the next Rennie Curran.

2. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

This kid is most definitely a Brown clone but one who is further along in his development than Brown was in college. Brown really blossomed last year but go back and watch his college tape, Gooden is better in almost every way except hit power. I remember watching him make that interception in the senior bowl and I was instantly reminded of Brown running back those picks against the Jags. I like this pick. This explains passing on Tank and Okafor (for now). If we're not going to use DE's for outside pass rush, why draft an outside pass rushing DE in the 1st 3 rounds?

This FO went into FA and the draft with a plan. It feels way better than the last few direction-less years.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TrueTitan

TrueTitan Starter

I guess speeeed is the top priority for our DBs. But I would have picked Chase Thomas (Stanford) who has functioned as a LB and DE on a VERY good defense.
    2012: 14 games, 69 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 14.5 tackles for loss, 3 pass deflections, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception

4. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

After getting upset and being wrong about the Zach Brown pick...I'll reserve judgement for later.

I think Ayers will have his hand in the ground a lot more this year with brown and Gooden as OLBs.

5. lilkhmerkid4u

lilkhmerkid4u Somebody Saveeeeeee Meee!

Can he play safety?

6. FLA Titans Fan

FLA Titans Fan The GM

Its clear that this speed demon is gonna be our cover LB in this hybrid scheme Williams is creating. Brown and Ayers are going to be rushing the QB so you need depth at LB, not as much as DE.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us take another LB or bring in a few undrafted FA

Still some good value with the DL and in the secondary. I say Passrusher, Versatile Safety, MLB Depth, OL

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

3rd down pass rusher. Which, last time I checked, we were in desperate need of. Dude runs a 4.47. That's real fast. He'll be situational. If McCarthy stays healthy, with Ayers Brown and Gooden, we now have a fast and deep LB corps. He's a late third round pick. He doesn't need to start to get good value. He's very fast. If he is good on ST and can get some good third down pressure while spelling Brown then he'll be more then worth what we gave for him: a compensatory pick.

8. Maker_84

Maker_84 Starter

i assume so since he was recruited as a safety out of High School to Mizzou

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

He's too short/stocky to play safety.

If you watch his tape, he gets beaten due to his height over the top a good bit. He's always there, but they can out-jump him fairly easily.

10. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

He's 6'2 and 235...he's short my *ss.

If he weighed 220 he'd be perfect size for a SS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar