Titans Agree to Terms with Hope

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Now I get to look forward to at least of year of people punning on "hope" using it as a verb rather than the noun proper name. Now, if we get Matt Leinart I get to look forward to years of Matt Leinart spelled with an "H" ...

Meanwhile, folks are'nt sure whether Vince Young can spell his own name...:sad2:

Things sure are different now. Things have changed going into the draft and the FO is screaming, "quarterback, quarterback, quarterback!!!"

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Tank must be on the outs, being an FA and all. It's a shame, really. Lamont came in as a big hitter, but we haven't seen that in a while. But if he can help stuff the run and not worry about his hair being run over as well as cover, then this is great, and I'll get over losing Tank. I just wonder if it's the right move. I'd hate to see Tank light it up somewhere else and we're like, "DOH!"

So my only real concern is that we have 3 safeties on the roster who are naturally FSs. Then there's Nickey and I can't remember which one he's supposed to be.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Wow. We signed Hope to a 6-year deal. We must really like him. In the article on titansonline, he says he can play either safety spot.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I think Lamont is a natural Strong Safety?

5. Well, Hope is not the biggest secondary guy in terms of size... He needs to stay put and roam around as a FS.

6. AvatarKing

By Len Pasquarelli

Although there has been no formal contract proposal yet, the Pittsburgh Steelers have made verbal overtures aimed at retaining Chris Hope and will try to keep their starting free safety off the unrestricted market.

"They've told us that Chris is one of their top targets [to re-sign]," agent Braylon Bennett told ESPN.com on Monday, "and we're taking them at their word. The thing is, without an extension [to the collective bargaining agreement], doing business will be hard. So we'll see what happens. No matter what, our feeling is that Chris will be the top free-agent safety."

Bennett and Hope met Monday to discuss the player's potential options.

A four-year veteran and a starter each of the last two seasons, Hope is one of three defenders who started for the Steelers in Super Bowl XL and is eligible for unrestricted free agency. He is likely the player among those three, it seems, that Pittsburgh will try the hardest to retain.

Defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen, 35, is a 12-year veteran and there is a sense the younger Brett Keisel, who is also eligible for free agency and a priority for the Steelers, might be ready to supplant him in the starting lineup. Versatile cornerback Deshea Townsend is arguably the team's best coverage defender and Pittsburgh would also like to have him back, but the progress made by rookie Bryant McFadden in 2005 could propel him into the lineup as well.

Team officials reiterated at the Super Bowl that retaining Hope is a priority.

7. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

Where do we go in Round 2 now??? Personally, I'd put Hope at FS and resign Tank, but that is not happening. Thompson's contract must be cap friendly. BTW I HATE the hair!! C'ya Donnie Nickey!! (wasted draft pick)

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Round 2 could be best player available - maybe Max Gean Gillies.

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Hopefully...

1. Leinart, Ferguson
    2. Jackson, Allen, Giles

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I forgot about the need for a MLB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar