Titans Agree with Third-Round Pick TE Stevens

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Rebel Titan, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Stevens is a blocking TE.

He blocks against inferior D-linemen/Linebackers in the Pac10 compared to other major conferences.

Agree/Disagree?

According to the article I posted, the Pac 10 finishes 5th with 32 defensive starters in the NFL. The SEC is in 1st and more than double's that.

Compared to other major conferences, Pac10 D's are weak.

Oh, Tony G... he's a receiving TE. Are you really thinking Stevens is the next Tony G?

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I would be a little concerned by those facts if he was an O lineman. But he is a TE. The fact is the fact that is he is a good blocking TE is good enough. He'll be a good blocker, and hopefully he can catch passes well.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yes MAJOR conference! Case closed and stop wasting my damn time!

70 starting players in the nfl came from that conference including 32 defensive players. This is the dumbest crap!

What is even dumber is that we drafted another player from that conference, a guy from the MAC and 2 guys from the lower divisions!

You would never bring up the caliber of opposition regarding our DE from winston salem but you take issue with a guy from cal? Are you friggin dense?

4. Alex1939

Why would you suggest I would never bring up the caliber of opposition regarding William Hayes? I was pretty critical of the draft selection, so yeah, I guess I probably did bring up the level of competition at some point.

How is it cased closed that I said major conference? When did I say the Pac10 wasn't?

Why aren't you able to follow my main point, or answer the questions I directly ask you, and make up stuff that I never said?

Here was my original point:

1) Stevens is primarily a blocking TE.

2) He blocks against inferior defensive players of the Pac10 compared to SEC,Big10,Big12,ACC.

3) He is hyped like he will be the best blocking TE ever, or the next Jason Witten, or Tony Gonzalez.

I do not understand the over-hype of this draft selection.

Now maybe you are trying to say the Pac10 isn't that far back from the SEC comparing D-linemen and Linebackers. I wouldn't totally agree with that. But I understand if that is your point of view.

Maybe you are saying the level of competition he faces in college is irrelevant when projecting him as an NFL starter. If that's so, you must think Stevens is a badass, therefore it doesn't matter who he would play against, and I'd be curious why if that is your opinion.

Nowhere am I saying that Stevens can't be an outstanding TE. Nowhere am I saying Pac10 players can't become NFL players/starters. I hope Stevens will, it will be good for the team I support. But I'm not seeing solid reasons to be overly optimistic, which is in contrast to other people's opinions.

Or perhaps not, and I overestimated what people think of this draft pick based on a few small conversations and a few posts.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Alex i undersatand your point fine i just think it is dumb and irrelevant.

As for inferior conferences may i ask how many conference usa RBs start in the nfl. Just curious.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I'm not even going to research but is it 2?

7. Alex1939

Possibly Matt Forte (Tulane) will start for the Bears as a rookie.

Possibly Kevin Smith (UCF) will start for the Lions as a rookie.

DeAngelo Williams (Memphis) should at least be in the RBBC for the Panthers.

Ahmad Bradshaw (Marshall) gets some carries for the Giants.

That's pretty much it as far as notable running backs from C-USA go. Throw in our Chris Johnson as a possible RBBC.

I also think I made a valid point of concern when a draft pick's strengths shine against a conference's weakness.

8. Titans80

Titans80 Do ya thang!

There is none:rolleyes:

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I'll say that LT played at TCU...

10. Alex1939

Awesome.

And you realize they play in the Mountain West Conference, right?

Cause I was talking about backs from Conference USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar