Titans allowing 70 percent more points than 2011

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

When times were tough for the Titans’ defense last season, defensive coordinator Jerry Gray could always point to a bottom-line stat: points allowed.

He hasn’t been able to do that this year.

The Titans are surrendering a league-worst 34 points per game, which is more than a 70 percent increase over last year’s season-ending figure of 19.8 points per game (which was eighth-best in the league).

Tennessee has surrendered at least 30 points in six of seven contests this year, including last week’s 35-34 win over Buffalo.

“When you look at it last year, I think we were around 19 a game and we’re well over that,” Gray said. “That’s the kind of stuff that you try to preach to the guys. It’s one or two plays here that decides the game.”

One area where the Titans have seen plenty of slippage defensively is in the red zone, where they allowed opponents to score at a rate of about 48 percent last year (ninth-best in the league). Through seven games this year, Titans’ opponents are scoring touchdowns 60 percent of the time in the red zone, which ranks Tennessee 22nd in that category.

“We blew a couple things last week to give up two touchdowns where it shouldn’t have been that,” Gray said. “At least if we’d have made them kick field goals, right then and there is the difference in the game. That’s what you’re trying to get them to understand, how vital every play is. But when you get in the red zone, you cannot give up touchdowns.”

An early stop or two might help the Titans as well, considering the team has allowed its opponent to score on the first or second drive of every game this year.

“It always helps when you get big turnovers and stuff like that,” Gray said. “It just so happens that ours are coming in the second half. Maybe I gotta’ speed them up a little bit more.”

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

maybe you gotta hold players accountable and bench the players that fall down in the EZ

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Jerry Gray might be the only person in the Titans organization in more denial about his own shortcomings than Chris Johnson.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Gray sucks! Last year he didn't have time to install his defense 100% and we were ok, we need another lockout asap.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

definatly a case of Less is More

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Obviously the main issue is tackling but we've never really been the best at that particular skill and I don't think it would make a 2 touchdown difference. To me it comes down to the scheme Gray is implementing this year and also when our offense was struggling we couldn't give the defense a break and always set the other team up with pretty good field position. That point average can't stay that high the whole season and with the hardest part of our schedule over it can probably drop 7 points or more, especially with McCarthy getting healthier every week.

7. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Gray was on his way to being out of the league, coaching DB's for UT... to bad we offered him our DC job. Honestly, I'm not sure he has the football IQ to be coaching a High School defense, the fact that he is our DC is embarrassing. I'd fire him and take Juan Castillo in a heartbeat over Gray.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Lol grays a scrub.

9. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

Dunno if you realize this Jerry but its also one or two plays that could cost you your job

I certainly hope you speed them up, your sure as hell not going to be able to speed up the unemployment line.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You guys see the new Jerry Gray inspired Titans motorcycle?

Untitled.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar