Titans Considering Options in Free Agency

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: With WR Drew Bennett signed by the Rams on Friday and RB Travis Henry visiting the Broncos, the Titans roster is changing fast. WR Bobby Wade\'s agent said his client has not talked to the Titans lately and that their offer to him was less than $1 million per year, far lower than what they were expecting. DE Kevin Carter may visit the Titans this week after a stop in Tampa Bay today. WR Joe Horn has voiced interest in the Titans but the Falcons are supposedly the front-runners for him. WR Justin McCareins may be released and be of interest as is WRs Kevin Curtis and Kelley Washington.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

So what WRs do we have from the last two drafts that are under contract for a while?

It would appear that such a low offer to Wade may indicate a misunderstanding of the market on the part of the FO.

Also, cases like Wade and Henry in which players are "given a chance" does not mean that they remain cheap forever.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Wade and mccareins..

Wade, 26 years old, average production the last 3 seasons 30 catches for 354 yards.

Mccareins 28 years old, average production last three years 40 catches, 610 yards.

Market value? My guess is that the hitch for wade is the bennett deal. His people are probably suggesting that wade is worth half what bennett was so maybe they are asking for $3M. Mcareins might want 4M.

The real value of the 2 would be about $2.5M wade and $3.5M mccareins. That means we can sign both for less than the rams paid for bennett. It would be a solid value way to go.

And remember that while here mccerins was a good kick returner. He wasn't needed for that with the jets but this guy can help in that area.

A case could be made that mccareins isn't that much of a drop off from bennett. He did have a three year stretch from 03 to 05 where he averaged over 750 yards. At least he is the equal of kevin curtis.

I can see a scenario where brandon jones is our #1 with 800+ yards, mccareins our #2 with 700 yards and wade #3 with 400+. That is 2000 yards from our top 3 WRs which is great in this offense. As long as nobody gets hurt but roby and williams will both be third year players we can expect more from them and we will no doubt draft a couple of Wrs.

We have good TEs and our FB proved that he can catch the ball. A good pass receiving RB would be nice.

Our offense could be better than it was last year without spending much money..

4. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I would LOVE to see the Darell Jackson trade go through and have a feeling Reinfeldt is working hard at making it happen. With DJ the clear #1, bringing in Mccareins to battle with Jones for the #2 could give us a vicious Wideout corpse. Add to that the potential signing of Eric Johnson, a top pass catching TE and some veteran help at the RB position to back up Lendale and we're talking about a top teir offense! GO TITANS!

5. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

i will give 5 bucks to the guy who accurately guesses who our starting rb and 2 receivers are.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I wouldn't mind Joe Horn and McCareins ..

RB.. i would like to see corey dillon and lendale.

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

If we could pull that off, the Wade/McCareines deal, it would be great. Sounds good on paper, hope it works.
    Are we forgetting David Givens?

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huh?

Why would we trade for DJ unless the Seahawks want to get rid of him for cheap? DJ can get the dropsies like Bennett, would cost us draft value to aquire and he's not cheap to begin with. So for a guy without great hands or size, you're paying via the draft AND via the salary cap.

Not smart. We'd be better off signing a free agent like Kevin Curtis who, combined with Brandon Jones, can hold down the starting job til Givens gets back which gives us a solid WR core. Plus, this is a deep WR draft class so I don't want to give up a pick for a WR when we can get a good value with the draft pick alone.

Gut

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I bet the real Bud Adams is thinking the same thing.

10. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

This Wade v. Bennett deal from the Titans fans view has really turned out laughable. Running a post with an attached poll, I asked, "Wade or Bennett" and the fans choose Wade. Bennett is offered $30mil while Wade is offered $1mil !!!!???? If we can sign Wade long term at half what Drew got, what a steal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar