Titans could trade 1st round pick...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rcarie, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

plus we need our first round pick whether it be a QB or something else, we are already a 3rd pick short.

2. Nash

Nash Starter

Guys this has been discussed much more thoroughly at titanscentral last week. Rivers is the son of a very good high school coach, he played 1 year under Chow, and then ran the same offense for 3 years without him (like having Manning on the field), he's 6'5", and pretty tough..he was good enough to be the 4th pick in the 2004 draft, has a very quick release, and is mobile... he's married with 2 kids, and his dad reportedly wants him to play here because he grew up in north Alabama, less that 11/2 hours away...from everything I hear and read, we need this guy to be the team leader on offense going into the future...lastly San Diego wants Jimmy Williams for Rivers, so what evere it takes to get Williams is what it will take....

3. xactitans

xactitans Guest

I don't see any reason why River's value would have dropped since he was drafted. If anything, you'd have to think it's increased since he's had a couple years to develop in an NFL system. I'd say he would definately be worth our #6 overall pick. Although if the Titans would do this, it would signify two things, McNair would no longer be a Titan and we'd miss the playoffs again in 2006. I think if, behind closed doors, Reese and Fisher think we have a legitimate shot in 2006, they'll keep McNair. He's still our best shot to win next year.

4. Nine

Nine Starter

If Mac steps down after this year, I'd jump on Rivers in a heartbeat.

I honestly don't understand the idea that he's worth no better than a second-round pick. He may not have played on Sundays as yet, but he's practiced against an NFL defense for two years, and understands the differences between the NFL and college. Any QB coming out of college is going to require at least one year of seasoning...it's not like Rivers has lost any of his talent, and he could play immediately.

(But realistically, it's a non-issue. McNair will almost certainly be back next year, and there are too many other teams in dire need of a QB...by the time draft day rolls around, he'll be someone's designated starter.)

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Not true. He hasn't played much but he has got some snaps and he's got to whatch and participate in NFL football things like: drills, meeting, film rooms, and everything else. Not to say he's like a vet but certainly more experienced than a normal rookie coming from college. Remember, the kid was a stud in college at NC State and was rated about the same as Eli Manning when they both came out. He's gonna be a good one if he goes to the right team and, hopefully, it's ours.

6. Hellblitzer

Hellblitzer Guest

so whats Rivers offer that Volek doesnt????????

7. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

He's good and Volek's not.

8. Hellblitzer

Hellblitzer Guest

and what makes you say that, How many NFL games has Rivers started, or Won. He's a unknown. I dont see us wasteing a top ten pick on a player that cant even bench his competition.

If he's all that and a bag of chips, then they will keep him and trade Brees.

Besides now Volek has just as much experience in the "Chow" system as Rivers.

I say take Cutler in the 2nd and be done with it unless Vince Young comes out then you have to take him in the first.

Or we trade away three Olinemen to the Texans for the first overall pick, I can see them going for that.

9. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Your tight about one thing. Rivers isn't proven. Volek has proven that he can't get the job done, though. I don't think there would be any chance of Billy making through a season injury free, plus, he buckles under preasure. No thanks. The Chargers were going to get rid of Brees origanally but they started winning and you never mess with that. Everyone knows that when you bring a rookie QB regaurdless of how good they are (excluding Rothlessberger) they're going to struggle for at least a year. So when the chargers started winning with Brees they weren't going to buck the system, why would they. Besides, even if Young comes out he'll most likely be gone by the time we pick same goes with Cutler. I like Cutler but it'll be slim chances on getting him when we want. If Steve renotiates, and I think he will, Billy will be gone. No doubt. We've got to get some one and Rivers would be a pretty good fit.

10. Tull

Tull Starter

If you trade your 1st pick for Rivers you avoid paying a big signing bonus. If you pick a QB in the first it will cost more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar