Titans coverage 2012

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Clark, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Titans coverage 2012-- breakdown of our secondary and some stats from last year to compare to as well. Along with how the secondary is affecting our D line.

McCourty - targeted 97 times. Completed against - 63 -- 64.9% -- 12.7 yard average. 800 yards total. Played entirely on the left side.

Verner - targeted 84 times. Completed against - 53 --63.1% -- 10.5 yard average. 556 yards total. Played entirely on the right side.

Senseabaugh - 35/25 -- 71.4% -- 10.8 yard average. 270 yards total.

Mouton - 48/36 -- 75% -- 8.8 yard average. 315 yards total.

Griffin - 31/21 -- 65.6% -- 17.1 yard average. 360 yards total. 22 missed tackles.

Babs - 51/33 -- 64.7% -- 12 yard average. 395 yards total

Finnegan - 82/52 -- 63.4% --8.8 yard average. 456 yards total

Verner - 66/37 -- 56.1 -- 9 yard average. 334 yards total

McCourty - 117/71 -- 60.7 -- 11.3 yard average. 802 yards total.

Griffin - 38/23 -- 60.5 -- 10.5% yard average. 241 yards total.

McCourty has given up a lot of yards for sure. Of course he's been playing primarily against the number one WR... And the other thing is we don't move our corners around so we allow the offense to decide their own match ups... Kinda ridiculous.

Our Nickel corners are obviously outmatched and need an upgrade. That probably comes by drafting a top corner in the draft and moving Verner to the slot where he can use his instincts better.

Our safety play in coverage isn't the best but they allowed bigger plays by not making tackles when they need to. Griffin has zero fire.

Now when you add in the basic theme that the quicker the D line gets pressure the faster the QB must throw the ball. While the secondary is supposed to force the QB to hold the ball longer and allow the D line to get to the QB...

We didnt do horrible on pressure or sacks. We did have to pick up 12 of our 39 from LBs but we still got em.

We had a grand total of 168 QB pressures for. Our entire defense with 89 coming from Morgan and Wimbley.

Now comparing that to some much more aggressive defenses.

Texans 165
    Ravens 141
    Steelers 106

To me... This means we missed out on sacks.. We had the opportunities. If we pressured the QB, we were tenths of seconds away from sacks. Two things would help this defense greatly. Better coverage of course, maybe we need to swing for that CB sooner, and more pressure up the middle of the line. We were weak in that area.

To me I think this falls on our sloppy secondary and the scheme... Possibly the padded cushion we give the WRs... Maybe our inability to play man.

Food for thought.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You know what those numbers mean? That Jerry Gray sucks, just flat out sucks!

Verner may be a little slow, but in bump and run he's good, he can play man as can McCourty.

IDK why or how Gray still has a job, it's sicking.

His scheme is flawed. No defense can do well having the CB's sometimes 12-yards back, IDC if youre in cover 3 or whatever, give me a 12-yard cushion and I'm throwing a 10-yard out and getting 1st downs all day.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Did Griffin lead the league in missed tackles?

4. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yes

5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

As someone else pointed out, the scheme is awful. I really don't understand the theory behind giving up so much cushion (well actually I do understand the theory, its just a retarded theory). Teams can basically complete passes at will on our team, and the greatest CB in the world can't stop them in Grays defense.

I don't think targeting a CB high in the draft will really do much to help because of the above reasons. I feel like we have 2 solid CBs, but Gray plays them scared. And I don't see him playing a rookie aggressively.

Getting a big time DT in the draft will go farther to helping our coverage IMO. If we can get to the QB more, then that will help everyone. The DL did better this year, but we still lack a true elite DL. I would be okay targetting a big name CB in FA though

6. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

Looking at the stats now I dont see really see how adding an impact DT improves this coverage system we have. Obviously by the numbers its very flawed. I am suprised at how much pressure we actually got on the QB, minus not being able to record the sacks.

7. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

Did Gray say that this group we have wasnt capable of playing man coverage?
    -obviously they arent capable of playing whatever coverage scheme he had in 2012. This man should be looking for another job by now. Not one player in coverage had a good year, i think that speaks alot about who was in charge.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

22 of them!

9. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

I wonder if that even includes all the times he took bad angles (that looked to be on purpose), so he wouldn't have to make a tackle or so it would look like he wasn't close enough? Probably close to 40 total then.

10. Just Win Baby

Just Win Baby Starter

Agreed, scheme was horrible. You can also note that Ayers and Brown were in the Top Ten worst linebackers as far as tackling efficiency per PFF. Guess what, Witherspoon also made the list. That's 3 of our LB's making the bottom 10. Add in Wiffin and thats a winning combo. :shakehead:

Regardless of DC or scheme, we MUST tackle better next year. - Not hating on our LB's just pointing out a fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar