Titans, Crumpler working on deal

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans News, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans News

Titans News Guest

The Titans and the agent for tight end Alge Crumpler remain in conversations about a contract extension as the free agency deadline approaches.

Even if the two sides can’t reach a deal by Friday, however, that doesn’t mean something can’t be worked out. Agent Butch Williams on Thursday sounded optimistic.

He talked with the Titans on Wednesday and plans to talk to the team again today.

“These are artificial time restrictions because if a guy wants to go with a team and the team wants him, that time doesn’t really matter,’’ Williams said. “It is mutual. He respects them and they respect him, so we’ll be all right.’’

Coach Jeff Fisher said at the NFL Combine he hopes the team retains the veteran tight end, who caught 27 passes for 222 yards in 2009. As a blocker, Crumpler was also a big part of the running game’s success as running back Chris Johnson ran for 2,006 yards.

“Alge was a tremendous part of our run game and our passing game,’’ Fisher said. “There’s no question we’d like to give him an opportunity to finish his career with us.’’

The Titans offered a tender to veteran Bo Scaife on Wednesday, and Fisher said he expects Jared Cook, a second-round pick last year, to play a bigger role in the offense this year.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

WTF did we use draft picks on Craig Stevens and Jared Cook if we are going to continue to roll with Scaife and Crumpler? Especially at the expense of CB depth.

It's not like there aren't going to be good TEs available in the future, or blocking TEs that can be drafted AFTER the 3rd round!!!

Mike Reinfeldt is an idiot.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

We have to be trying to trade Scaife or something. I don't think we keep 4 tight ends again next year.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

We're a running team, therefore, we like our TEs.

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I hope this is true. I like Bo and all, but seriously keeping Scaife, Crumpler, Cook and Stevens, WTF?

6. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

coulda had super mario manningham instead of craig "i dont do anything at all" stevens

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Tradition dictates that our best recievers have been our TEs.

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'm not knocking any of our TEs, but why keep so many when we aren't gonna even play them all.

9. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

It would be different keeping 4 tight ends if we actually used them all. But we basically only used 2 last year even when one of them was injured. I think that keeping 3 would plenty and if one gets hurt we can sign a fa if need be.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Tradition dictates that we don't win superbowls.

Time to fix tradition.

• High Five High Five x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar