Titans D Stops Jags 24-17

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes, yes, and yes!

I agree the scheme didn't do much for us. Garrard handed us the ball too many times. He gave us a fumble (almost looked like he was trying to underhand it forward or something) and several INT's. Pac was in the flat, he threw it to the flat, Pac runs to the endzone...bad decision and a worse throw. Nice job by Finnegan scooping the fumble and returning it 92 yards for the TD. Again on the INT he threw to Hope, he expected Hope to follow the receiver back towards the middle of the field but Hope stayed his ground and Garrard hit him in the chest! Thank you!

While there were a couple of goal line stands and a 4th down play in which Bulluck blitzed and dropped Garrard, the D got run over today. MDJ ripped us and we played an 8 man front most of the time! NOT GOOD! I kept thinking, how do the Jags make it look so easy to run on our 8 man front and yet we have trouble running against their front 7...?

And I know EXACTLY the 3rd down play you're talking about with 3 DL. Whenever we go 3 DL and lots of DB's, we either play a prevent or we blitz. Schwartz really tips his hand with this. But LaBoy aligned so far outside I was thinking they should run...BAM....they did!!! UGH! Bad scheme...bad call.

The players did contribute to the failure of the D on occasion too. While we did get some coverage sacks, we should have had several more sacks. We almost had him several times and let him get away. And LaBoy has got to learn how to stay in his rush lane. At least 3 times he went inside on the pass rush which allowed Garrard to move to his left and have time to eat a sandwich! Can't do that. And Schwartz schemes this sometimes by stunting LaBoy inside and having the DT's come all the way around the outside. I hate this stunt. It takes forever to get the DT's around (if they even get there) and most of the time 2 bad things happen....we get NO pressure AND we lose contain on the QB! WAKE UP SCHWARTZ, this is not working!

When Bulluck blitzed on that 4th and short...I was thinking the same thing you were thinking....we need to blitz Bulluck MORE!!!

LT was nowhere to be found on an early run up the middle, but after we had the lead, he actually attacked the ball carrier and made a nice tackle. Good job LT....that's one.

And is it me, or did RH get semi-burned in this game? He gave up a deep pass down the sidelines (overturned somehow), and a fade he wasn't close on (fortunate the WR couldn't hold onto it), and a deep post that Garrard missed though the WR was wide open for the TD. So while he technically didn't get burned, how does this guy keep his starting job outside. Finnegan has earned a shot IMO. Furthermore, how does Schwartz allow RH to be one on one with one of their outside WR's deep down the field??? Bad scheme. I fanyone's got to cover someone one on one, it should be Pacman!

I was also watching the Buffalo game at the same time. If I were them, I'd simply go double TE and go playaction after a few McGahee runs. Lee Evans would be lined up on the offensive left side opposite RH with most likely LT in deep CF. I'm afraid Evans will toast RH...multiple times. They threw deep a lot today. Losman can hit the homerun so we had better keep a safety deep on that side of the field or put Pacman on Evans all day.

Oh wait, Schwartz doesn't do that.

Gut

PS - The players for the most part played well. Our scheme was more detriment than help but did have the occasional high point. Even still, we couldn't stop them from marching up and down the field and owning TOP.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

has anyone else noticed that when there is a jump ball on hill's side he doesnt jump?

3. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Personally, since the Eagles game, I wear my McNair jersey after every win. Hasn't failed me yet.

4. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

Scheme?! What Scheme? The one where you can't get off the field on 3rd downs? The only thing that saved us today were some great individual efforts. They ran through us like we were swiss cheese. With the talent that we have on D, imagine how good our D could be with a "good" Coordinator.

5. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

Its because he has been beaten down the field and isnt close enough to jump up...so whats the purpose to jump if he isnt even near the reciever?:suspect:

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Hill doesn't know the ball is coming, so he has no idea when to jump. The guy never gets his head around, and why he gets burned so often. You would think the coaches could work on this.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Exactly...

Hill is usually close, he just has no clue the balls coming, he just tries to play the WR when HE reaches for the ball. By that time, it's too late to jump and frequently too late to do anything except make the tackle.

Schwartz should consider putting him on an outside shade of the WR and force the WR to release inside. I know this will alter other players coverage, but it would allow him to look at the WR AND the ball when he's down the sidelines with a WR one on one. Then we'll see if he can PLAY THE BALL.

Gut

8. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

I saw WAY too many defunct Titans player jerseys at the game today. :grrhee:

9. Titanmc

Titanmc Starter

missed tackle

5:30 left 1st quarter 3 down, swing pass, Tulloch misses open field tackle so bad, he takes out the DB as well. Instead of a punt, they go on to a first down and then a TD.

I would rather have PS in, Tulloch was in due to PS being hurt earlier.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

You do realise that Sirmon doesn't have the speed to even be in position to miss that tackle right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar