Titans Discussing Incentives Deal for Haynesworth

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: With Titans training camp officially starting today at 3:30, Albert Haynesworth has yet to sign his tender. Coach Jeff Fisher believes it is possible a deal can be reached which would allow the All-Pro to play himself out of the franchise tag in 2009 by meeting certain incentives. "We have every intention and hope that we'll be able to get him in here," Fisher said. "Things are progressing that we'll be able to have him in and he'll be on the practice field as early as (this) afternoon." The type of incentives being discussed includes playing time percentage, statistical achievements and the number of games the Titans must win.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans have changed their tune on this since June. Personally, I think it'll work out best for both sides if the incentives are in the ballpark of him playing 65-70% of the snaps, the Titans winning 10-12 games and he making All-Pro/Pro Bowl again.

3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

That's exactly what he did last season. I say that if he wants an incentive deal, make it even more difficult for him. Add to what you have that he plays all 16 games (Al starts sweating), and 75-85% of the snaps.

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

A deal obviously entails Haynesworth signing it... those incentives would be a joke. If he can repeat last year, I think that would be great. We would be more than willing to sign him long term if he can turn in a repeat performance.

5. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

This guy is a baby. I don't see him with this team when his contract is up. He knows he has been inconsistant. Teams aren't normally wiling to shell out consistant guaranteed money on an unsure bet.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm wondering why Haynesworth would accept a team incentive like number of wins. How much control does he have over that? Also, the coaches can manipulate when he's on the field. Washburn rotates the DTs to keep them fresh so the scheme dictates Haynesworth will come off more often. If they say 70%, the coaches could hold him out for a few extra plays in games the Titans have in control. Or, Haynesworth might play when he's gassed or hurting which could lead to a bigger injury which keeps him off the field for an extended period.

I'd make the only incentive be he make All-Pro. For that to happen, he'd have to play a lot and at a high level. Proving he's one of the top four DTs in the AFC will do.

7. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

• Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
  8. I'm sorry and why hasn't he signed already? I feel like he's jsut drawing out this process intentionally but for no reason whatsoever

9. UVATitan

UVATitan Camp Fodder

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

At home games we should just project a dollar sign on the QB. Make the contract based on sacks and tackles. I could see him breaking single season sack records even if he were triple teamed. Just hope it is not like comet puck in the NHL and ends up randomly in the stands.
    :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar